Thread: Help Wanted - Geat ideas for great room?

Lenore Guest

Default Help Wanted - Geat ideas for great room?

Hi

I am interested in H&M for the great room in my new home. Guidance/advice on what would really stand out (configuration/model/leather color) in this long, narrowish 23’ by 17’ room appreciated!

Great room pictures attached. The walls are a cream soda color (not quite the purple it appears in the picture). The wood is medium light (not oak but oak colored) and the rug is olive. High ceilings and the SW wall are all windows.

I am interested in couch/sectional, a recliner and chair/ottoman (or just another recliner).

Originally, a Cross Roads chair in Weston Cane caught my eye and that’s how I discovered Hancock and Moore, but in looking at the website, the couch appeared stiff and uncomfortable. Some of the couch styles I liked from the website include: Reed, Carmen, Somerset, and Gallagher. Comfort is important.

Considering a camel colored leather to match the wood work and walls, but really like the olive green color seen in the old leather sectional, carpet and Persian rugs. I have small dogs so at least some leather protection would be nice.

Many thanks in advance for ideas/recommendations!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	2750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	2747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	2751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	2748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	2749  

Default Re: Help Wanted - Geat ideas for great room?

You have one of those rooms that show great in the model home, but are notoriously difficult to decorate and furnish, because the architect didn't set the room up for watching TV. You have one free wall, everything else is encumbered with a design element or walkway. Its a beautiful home, though!

I'm going to immediately toss out the sectional. It would break the room in half - visually - and isn't going to work. You would be fighting the part that juts out into the room.

From a design standpoint, I'd put in a pair of facing sofas, and want to use the # 4716 Sundance as my start point because they are going to float in the room and come out 90 degrees to the fireplace and the exterior button tufting would look great. Another choice would be a pair of # 5628 Carmen sofas, which have exterior styling points as well. If looking for something more transitional, the # 5617 Julian would look good in their as well. Now these may not optimize TV watching, but they would flow best in the way they look.

If you don't like that look, then perhaps something like a curved conversational sectional for the wall area, such as the # 1666 Evening, or the 5604 Utah, then coming in with a pair of swivel chairs to go in front of that with the backs to the windows. Something like the 4738 Saunders to go with that look?

I like the idea of gentle curves in the room as everything including the tray ceiling and bookcases, mullions and staircase is right angles.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Lenore Guest

Wow! Incredible advice - thank you - I love the idea of facing sofas and hadn't even thought of it. I am going to take a look on the H&M website at the Julian and Sundance.. I know I like the Carmen and I'll take a look at the plan B suggestion as well.
    Lenore

Lenore Guest

My furniture arrived today in California via West Express. Very nice people. Thank you Duane and everyone for all the great discussion, education and especially pictures!
    Here's what I purchased after so much research and hand wringing..including a visit to Duane's store while my cousins where touring Mt. Vernon. (Fortunately I'd been on my last trip to DC)
    Sloane couch, chair, ottoman: Columbia Butternut, Flora Honey gimp with square nail, Columbia Butternut cording below the gimp
    Robinson cocktail ottoman: Flora Honey top, Columbia Butternut base square nail trim
    Portsmouth wood trim, DD Old Gold nails everywhere there isn't square nails
    Its just beautiful - Had high expectations and still surprised at the quality and beauty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmREDUCED SIZE_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	4637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmREDUCED SIZE_Page_2.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	4638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmREDUCED SIZE_Page_3.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	4639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmREDUCED SIZE_Page_4.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	4640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmREDUCED SIZE_Page_5.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	4641

The Flora Honey came out FANTASTIC on the ottoman top and gimp trim on the two pieces. Looks better than even I imagined it would. A really great custom tie-in without going over the top on things. Too bad they dropped Flora Honey, I wish they'd have kept it in the lineup. Thanks for the photos and great write up, and I do appreciate you business, Lenore!
    Duane Collie

Lenore Guest

The Flora Honey is so soft and just gorgeous looking - I am sorry that its gone. Any recommendations for a recliner style in a pull up leather that might share all those milk chocolate/toffee/butterscotch tones in the Columbia Butternet/Flora Honey combination on the Sloane/Robinson? And I loved that Author Chair in Capri posted yesterday!!

For a recliner to go with your Sloane series, my first two picks would be the H&M # 7087 and the # 7082.
    Duane Collie