Thread: Hancock and Moore Sofa/Chair Recommendations: Big Dog, Little Twins, and Leather

kcarroll Guest

Default Hancock and Moore Sofa/Chair Recommendations: Big Dog, Little Twins, and Leather

This may be a bit household specific, but I was wondering if you could help me out with some recommendations on a leather sofa and possibly a matching chair/ottoman. Hopefully someone else can benefit from your recommendations, too. I have tried more local dealers but ended up frustrated; they refuse to give any recommendations without a concrete promise first to buy. What they don't realize is that if they provided me with a decent price and solid recommendations/ demonstrated knowledge, I probably would buy from them! I stumbled on your forum kind of circuitously through a gardenweb thread and you seemed like an excellent resource.

I am looking for, above all, COMFORT and DURABILITY; I would like something that has a long lifespan. I am leaning toward Hancock and Moore because of their reputation for quality, traditional leather products. I am fairly flexible on color--pretty much anything in the "earth-tone" family (chocolate, reddish brown, dark tan--I don't want anything too light--olive, etc.). However, I do have some broad limitations. Namely, I have a 90+ lb lab that does go on the furniture and a set of twins on the way, so I need as scratch/puncture/stain resistant a leather as possible while not looking "plastic-y". Finally, as with most people, price is somewhat of a barrier. I would love to keep it as much below $3000 as possible (after all, I do have two kids on the way!); I would prefer the $2500 range, but I'm assuming that is likely a pipe dream unless I get really, really lucky with a floor sample or something. I debated posting versus calling about this, but I figured there are likely a lot of people out there with similar needs.

To give you an idea of aesthetic preferences, my husband and I like clean, classic lines (e.g. H & M's Charter sofa, or in 2nd place, their Kodiak sofa, both with nail trim). I would also be open to alternative suggestions based on my above-described needs and preferences. If it matters, we are both pretty ordinary sized people--5'10" and 5'7", normal weight range. Feel free to email me with any questions or price quotes (I am in Ossining, NY, just north of NYC, for reference); I assume you can pull my email from my username, but if not, post back to me as to how I should get in touch with you regarding prices.

Thanks! Katie

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Sofa/Chair Recommendations: Big Dog, Little Twins, and Leather

Hi Katie,

I think exactly where you want to be is the H&M Town and Country, # 9503 Kodiak Sofa in the Married Cover of Document Saddle. Its going to be at the upper end of your budget in that leather, but not by too much. Great sofa, very comfy...built like a tank. Document series is excellent on stain and spill resistance and will take the punishment of what the babies and dog dish out as well as anything. While its not my favorite leather (its too over-processed for my tastes), it works on the affordability/durability/comfort levels. To move into any other leather will put you well into the mid $ 3K range at a delivered price.

I can pull your email, but its too much work to go into the ADMIN database <g> I'll send you a PM on prices.

Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.