Thread: Insane New York City Delivery

Default Insane New York City Delivery

One of my customers is attempting to get delivery of his Bradington Young sectional in their apartment building in New York City.

The cost for 'White Glove' service is $ 402, which is reasonable for a sectional (via Sun Delivery). However, the Apartment Building is now requiring "additional insureds" with (4) named insureds from the delivery company which costs $ 100 per name insured. They will not allow the delivery company to enter the building without it.

That means the total delivery fee is an unplanned $ 802.

I've not run into this roadblock before with a customer attempting to get delivery, but a word to those who live in leased/rented apartment buildings - check with your building management for this sort of thing to avoid costly surprises when you order goods to be delivered. Probably something to ask about before signing a lease, actually.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Monique Guest

Default Re: Insane New York City Delivery

A close friend of mine was helping her son move into an apt. in NYC after college graduation. (Apt. was almost as much per year as a year of college too.) They had similar issues with the delivery. They even had to schedule the time to park in front of the building for the delivery and had to pay for padding the elevator. As it turned out the delivery time took longer than her scheduled time. She ended up having to give the doorman a hefty bribe to let them stay a little longer to finish unloading.

Duane,

I think maybe you slipped into a foreign language in your last post here. What is an "additional assured?" I make several "white glove" deliveries a week into NYC and have never run into this.

Jeff
    Simplicity Sofas

Jeff,

I had not either, so I had to get 'educated' on it. Apparently it means everyone and their uncle that could be sued in the event of a mishap while on the property related to delivery of the piece. The real estate ownership group would be the primary, then the management company next (additional insured), the mortage holders for the real estate company, employees union, etc. In this instance, it totaled (4) others entities over and above the primary.

Good news is my client didn't have to pay it, but apparently had to spend some time on the phone getting authorization to proceed with building management, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.