Thread: Somerset Sofa in Colorado Saddle

ponderosa Guest

Question Somerset Sofa in Colorado Saddle

This is a used Hancock and Moore Somerset Sofa I am interested in buying. I have not seen it yet. The original owner told me the leather is Colorado Saddle 3. She said there is a spot on one cushion where she tried to clean it. I'm not too sure what happened. She insists it is "not very noticeable." She was asking $1500 but said she will take $1000. I'm thinking less, maybe $600 with the spot. I don't know what these are worth new, but she claims to have paid $6000. Can that be?

My questions are, can this spot be repaired? Are there any other things I should look for or ask her about? She said the cushions are down. Is that good?

Default Re: Somerset Sofa in Colorado Saddle

The photo is too small to assess, see if you can get several more shots in a large size and post them here. Somerset sofas generally run $ 3K or more new. Colorado is a leather that's been gone a LONG time, I think that was last available in the late 90's, but not sure. I can't see the spot, but Leather Magic in NC can probably fix it for $ 100 or so, if its not an oily stain. I would buy on the assumption that the stain will NOT come out. Looks like its does have Ultra Down seat cushions, which is an upgrade from the standard cushions. If the owner has pets, be sure to check the sofa for flea egg infestation before purchase.

Good luck...
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ponderosa Guest

Thanks for the info. The 90's! Surprised there isn't more wrong with it being that old. Or maybe there is. Is Hancock and Moore a decent brand? The only reason this sofa caught my eye is because it's close to my house so I could pick it up without burning a tank of gas. If it's anything like the sofa it would be replacing after nearly 20 years it's pretty much used up. Those wooden arms don't invite a nap anyway.

I see you also sell furniture and have that Somerset sofa on your banner. I guess it must be popular to still be made. Or, maybe furniture isn't like car styles. I mean, a 90's Olds would definitely look old and outdated today.

It's an H&M, built right so they do last. It may be newer than that, I can't recall exactly when that leather was dropped but it was several years ago. The Somerset frame has been a mainstay for years.
    Duane Collie

Duane, would this sofa really start around $3000 in leather? Is that because so much of it is not leather?

I'm sorry, I was incorrect in typing that figure - I was thinking of on the Sundance on Town and Country in my mind, not the Somerset. To get into the Somerset series, mid- $ 4K and up depending on the leather used and frame (The cane sided ones are the best IMHO).
    Duane Collie

ponderosa Guest

Thanks for all the replies!

I asked the seller to send me some more photos. Is, or should I say was, the Colorado Saddle 3 leather a good leather? The seller kept telling me it was an expensive upgrade.

She also said the reason she is selling it is because she now owns some five or six parrots that fly around loose, and she didn't want them ruining her expensive sofa. Apparently, the sofa meant less to her than the birds and it went into storage when the bird population increased. I hope I don't have a Tippi Hedron experience if I decide to see it!