Thread: Mid Century Modern [quality] Leather Sofas?

myroomisblue Guest

Default Mid Century Modern [quality] Leather Sofas?

Greetings to all. I live in Ohio and, as I near the age of 50, am *finally* exploring my own tastes in decorating beyond whether it survives IFD (Infantile Fluid Deposits). I adore mid century modern styles; Heywood Wakefield dominates my home and in general, I favor simple clean lines. However, I'm not a fan of the totally minimalist, industrial, sterile and chrome look. What I'm looking for is a sofa and/or loveseat that goes with the MCM theme. Among the three highly rated manufacturers I've had a difficult time finding the sofa I'm looking for. Something close to what I have in mind is here:

http://www.dwr.com/product/sale/upho...rtby=ourPicks#

I have no idea if this is a quality manufacturer, and I'm unsure if the leather would look right with the button tufting.

Any thoughts on how I can find this dream sofa? I'm tending toward sage green or olive in color and blond or light wood feet. The tapered legs appeal to me and the larger cushion size; like only one or two cushions, particularly T shaped. The leather would look taut, not loose on the cushions and ideally, wouldn't sag over time.

All input is appreciated! I'm so very glad to find this forum amid the copious drivel saturating the internet. Breath of fresh air. Looking forward to participating here.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Mid Century Modern [quality] Leather Sofas?

DWR is a retail outfit. There may be a store near you--check the store locator on that site.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/b...n-reach-044137

I've heard that the quality is actually good. Don't know if it's made in the USA, though.

organic_smallhome Guest

Oh, and I think the leather would look great in the tufting. Just think of Chesterfield sofas:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1257

wintersummer Guest

Here's the very minimalist style Hancock and Moore we were looking at: http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1738

After looking at this one, we've decided to buy the Metro, another simple lined piece.

bubbaonline Guest

DWR has a warehouse near the Cincinnati airport. They open it to the public for a sale, twice a year, I think.. It's either in 41048 or 41018..

We've been to it... Pretty high end, at least from a price perspective. Not our style, though.

You should check it out.

myroomisblue Guest

Thank you for the comments! I found a Hancock & Moore sofa that *seems* to be clean and simple called Yosemite with tapered legs. The legs still look blocky to me but certainly better than the regular Yosemite. Here are some questions:

1. What do you think about this sofa in the Class IV Antelope Olive? I'd like to see it with blonde wood feet in a finish like the semi-opaque Wheat finish on Heywood-Wakefield furniture, but none of the wood finishes on the H&M site look right; they all have lots of woodgrain/markings in the wood.

2. Is it possible to have a row of button tufting added along the solid back of this piece? If so, what would that add to the price?

3. Is there a lower (less expensive) grade of leather that would work well on this piece? Definitely need a protected leather, but not stiff or shiny.

Duane, could I get a quote for this, in Class IV, standard cushions with tufting added (if possible) and no nailhead trim, shipped to 43224? Many thanks!