Thread: H&M sofa questions

ktvk12 Guest

Default H&M sofa questions

We are still narrowing our decision between the Harrison and Highland sofas. I have read most of the forum's discussion (mostly Duane's comments) about the door size required but didn't find the discussion definitive. I have a doorway that is 34" wide. Will these two sofas fit through that doorway? The door is a walk-out basement door and the sofa would go directly into the room so the only constraint that should matter is if the sofa can fit through the doorway. Perhaps more generally and to save asking this question down the road, is there someway to take the dimensions of any sofa and determine the width needed (i.e. is it the smallest dimension minus pi times Planck's constant...)?

Next question - I believe the back cushions on these two sofas are loose, can I get this confirmed? If so, is there some way to make them semi-attached like adding velcro? It is a constant battle with our kids to keep the cushions (which are loose) on (and not used as forts, pillows, etc.) our current sofa. Velcro is used on our seat cushions on the H&M restoration sofa we currently own and it is great.

Last question, my wife has a preference for leather that is less shiny and more of a matte finish on this sofa. Can anyone comment on the relative 'shininess' of the following leathers (buckingham burnished, yardley, kipling, stampede, and pecos).? TIA

Default Re: H&M sofa questions

UPDATED:

Hancock and Moore called and said neither of those would go through a 34" doorway...have to go with something a little smaller or make your door 36".

Yes, back cushions on both are loose, but held on with heavy-duty velcro - but that;s a moot point now on those two frames.

Buckingham Burnished: can be made matte but you will give up some protection
    Yardley: Satin, near matte
    Kipling: Waxy semigloss
    Stampede: Waxy semigloss
    Pecos: Waxy Satin.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-30-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ktvk12 Guest

Thanks for getting an answer so quickly and I am glad we didn't get too far down that road before we realized they wouldn't fit. Back to the drawing board...

One of the things you want to look at is overall sofa depth (both of those were very deep) and back height so that when you take the cushions off, the hard back is less than 34" to the base of the sofa. Several pieces can fit in a 34" doorway, probably 80 % of the line. You just happened to pick two that are in that 20 % that won't go is all.
    Duane Collie

ktvk12 Guest

Thanks for the head's up, I got that sense from your earlier post that the height was likely the key dimension for us to care about and so we will use your guide in our next choices. As far as depth, we would like a sofa that is deep because it will be used for lounging/watching tv with famiily (had hoped for something with a depth of about 24", but maybe we need to rethink this).

BTW - I've asked a neighbor who does finish carpentry to see if there is some way to extend the doorway a few inches. We've got a unique doorway that may provide a possibility here I want to rule out before we give up on these sofas.

ktvk12 Guest

We had been heading towards the Harrison and Highlands because we expected these sofas to be very comfy (deep seat cushions and loose back cushions). Given that our doorway constraints will likely preclude these as possibilities, I would appreciate any suggestions as to which H&M sofas are the most 'comfy', lounging and watching TV. I have heard many recommendations regarding the kodiak as well as a few others that likely wouldn't fit through our doorway (Sundance and Settlement) but wonder if there are others out there that might be flying under our radar. TIA

Settlement is even larger, and the Sundance is tough for getting through 34"

Comfort is subjective of course. I can point to the Austin High Back Tilt Chair (2038NB) in my store as THE most comfortable chair from any maker and then - sure enough - someone tries it out and says 'I don't like it'. I'm never quite ready for that! 9 of 10 people agree its great, but if you're the '1', then you don't like it. Having said that, the criteria I look for in comfort (for a 6' 0" man) is generally:

Back height taller than 36", closer to 40".
    Seat Depth 21" or more
    Seat Height 20" or higher

What a woman who is 5' 2" will like is completely different, of course.

The H&M models I happen to like that should go through a 34":

* Kodiak
    * Journey
    * City (9844 model)
    * Clivedon
    * McNary
    * Journal
    * Evening
    * Charter
    * Anderson
    * Austin High Back

There may be others......
    Duane Collie