Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major flooding in Northern Virginia

life99 Guest

Default Re: Major flooding in Northern Virginia

That is some major wash out there. I live in Nashville and some people here have yet to get their homes fixed from the flood that happened back in May of 2010. That was a major flood and had about 1.5 billion dollars of damage. You are lucky that your truck made it through.

Road washout - quite unbelievable. I don't understand how such an arrangement could be approved by a county or municipality. Only a bridge can "fix" this problem and $100,000 would be a low estimate.

It's a private road, not public, so there are different standards for that in Virginia. I too, live "next door" in a community with private roads so we are responsible for our own maintenance and repairs. The standard here in Fairfax County is a 'one-in-a-hundred-years-flood'. However they are saying what we got was a "Once in a Millennium" flash flood (every 1,000 years). At least we have two ways in and out in my community, so if we lost a road to washout we have another way in/out. I don't know what they are going to do about fixing that, but I don't think there are any public funds available to help them out, its on their nickel. I would imagine they will probably go the cheap route and put new pipes in and then add fill into the hole, pave over the top and then hold their breath that another flood doesn't come...

The bridge that I take to get to work every day was also washed out, so now I have to go another 10 minutes north every day as a detour as the State won't have that one rebuilt for at least 2 months. It was quite a vicious flood.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.