Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: H&M Antelope leather opinion needed

crouch Guest

Duane,

I've been trying to keep the price of my sofa or sectional as low as possible by sticking with the Town and Country program but the praise being offered to Antelope and Equestrian over the Document/Kipling leathers has me second guessing my frugalness. I intend to have this sofa a long time.

Can you give me an idea on what a September sofa would cost in Antelope? You have it listed in your Town and Country spreadsheet as $2193 for Document Copper and $2526 for all other Document leathers. How much would it be with a Grade III leather like Antelope (or Equestrian).

Also, would there be any difference at all in Serviceability (wipe and go factor) between the Document leathers and the Antelope leathers?

Thanks.

Martha Guest

Thanks to everyone for the information. I am feeling a bit more brave! Time now for Thanksgiving preparations. My chair analysis will resume on Friday.
    Martha

Quote Originally Posted by crouch View Post
    Duane,

I've been trying to keep the price of my sofa or sectional as low as possible by sticking with the Town and Country program but the praise being offered to Antelope and Equestrian over the Document/Kipling leathers has me second guessing my frugalness. I intend to have this sofa a long time.

Can you give me an idea on what a September sofa would cost in Antelope? You have it listed in your Town and Country spreadsheet as $2193 for Document Copper and $2526 for all other Document leathers. How much would it be with a Grade III leather like Antelope (or Equestrian).

Also, would there be any difference at all in Serviceability (wipe and go factor) between the Document leathers and the Antelope leathers?

Thanks.
    This is always a tough call! On one hand, you have the very attractive price points on the Town and Country program which are significant. And everyone's discretionary income level is different, so you have to buy within your comfort zone and not overextend.

On the other hand, H&M is made so well, and so durable, that I can honestly say you can expect at 25 years of normal use from your purchase in a primary location. Having to look and use a 'compromise' hide for a couple of decades can make you wish you bought the one you really wanted in the first place.

Let's look at the September as an example:

$ 2,193 in Document Copper
    $ 4,432 in Class III leather (Antelope or Equestrian)

Same piece, twice as expensive. Only the cover is different. Looks shocking until you amortize it over 25 years.

Document Copper: Yearly cost = $ 88
    Class III leather : Yearly cost = $ 177

$ 89 difference per year, the price of a moderate dinner out for two at a nice restaurant.

Clearly the Town and Country product is a major savings, but you have to like the lead hide its offered in, and not have an objection to a Chinese-sourced leather for the cover.

As far as durability , expect them to be equal with regards to use, however the Aniline hides in the class III leathers will be more prone to sun fade if exposed to direct sunlight.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Martha Guest

Duane,
    I probably did not ask my question with the right terminology. When I asked about the dying process what I meant to ask was not so much the exact details of the tannery, but how I could see a list of which H&M leathers are aniline and which are finished. Is there such a thing?
    Thanks,
    Martha

Hi Martha,

There is not a list supplied by H&M as to which hides are finished and which are pure anilines, sorry. I can go through them one-by-one and tell you what they are (and some are actually hybrids where they are part aniline/part finished), but it would take several hours to put that together.

Some hides that are Finished (that come to mind of the top of my head) are: Document, Cavalier, Columbia, Federal, Supple, Challenger.
    Duane Collie

puhmuckel Guest

Default Get the one you want

I have just ordered a sofa and have looked at the "cheaper" Class 2 leathers in the town and country program over and over again. None of them spoke to me, and none of them excited me in the least. Duane then send me a swatch of the Antelope and then a swatch of the Equestrian leathers. The feel of the leather and the color choices make spending double on a sofa really worth it to me. I have always been frugal and do not like to shop, but when I decide to buy something I buy what I want, and the price will always be secondary.

In the end I know that I will not regret spending the extra $$, but I might regret not getting the one I really wanted.

McCall Guest

Let me just say something here, when you mention the swatches that Duane sent you that you liked so much.
    I purchased a B&Y chair after falling in love with a swatch it was wonderful feel look texture color. I ordered it. what I got shows very little resemblence to that swatch.
    Now first off I did not buy this from Duane, though it was a well respected dealer whom I trust. Second obviously it is B&Y not H&M, but the point is valid none the less.

Swatches give you only the vaguest idea of what you are actually getting. Just keep that in mind.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Leather

I know that the color may come out different than the color of the swatches, but I would be upset if the actual leather would feel like inferior to that presented in the swatch. I really do think that my leather will come out just Great. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by puhmuckel View Post
    I know that the color may come out different than the color of the swatches, but I would be upset if the actual leather would feel like inferior to that presented in the swatch. I really do think that my leather will come out just Great. Thanks for the input.
    And we're doing a cutting for approval on this order, because reds DO vary a lot. So before construction begins, there will be an actual sample of the leather in-hand to approve (or not!). Red anilines are particularly variable in tint and hue, to when there's not a 'rush' order on the piece, its not a bad idea to pull a cutting on them.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by puhmuckel View Post
    Just got the cutting in today..its beautiful! I think you're really going to like the shade or red on this Equestrian. Going to put it in the mail to you today for approval.

Here's a photo of what the cutting looks like compared to the Master Dealer Swatch Ring. This is fairly typical (Leather is Equestrian, Class III, color Claret)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutting.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	63  
    Duane Collie