Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: H&M Antelope leather opinion needed

Sarah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Took a photo today of my Hancock and Moore Recliner that I bought in 1987. It was my first leather purchase. This has not been babied in any way, BUT I have always kept the leather clean and wiped down. As you can see, its a long ways from being worn out and I expect to get another 22 years out of it.
    I would not have guessed that your chair is 22 years old - it still looks great!

That's the thing - while folks struggle with the cost of Hancock and Moore vs. lesser brands, they actually are a lower cost of ownership because they do last so long. When you have high-quality materials as your basis, and that fact that H&M provides free replacement cushion cores to the original owner, then it just goes and goes and goes. The only other failure area on a recliner like this is the mechanism, which runs on a series of bushings that can elongate over time (usually does not occur until the piece is at least 10 years old). Replacement mechanisms are $ 100, and can be installed by the owner though it takes a couple hours to to it without removing the upholstery.

My recliner is on its original mechanism and cushion cores. All I use on it is the Leathermaster Care Kit (that I have in the store), every six months. Failure to clean the hide is the # 1 cause of these going to the landfill, so it really pays off to spend that ten minutes 2x a year to maintain the piece.

Of course, like all new leather buyers, I bought the cheapest leather at the time, and though its held up well, I do wish I'd have upgraded to a better hide. But 22 years ago I didn't have the understanding of leather that I do now, so I just went for price. I'll probably give this to one of my kids when they have their first apartment, then I can buy a new one in something yummy like Equestrian or Capri!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

barbja Guest

Default Do you think that this is Antelope Nugget too?

Hey guys -- given the photo of the antelope nugget chair that Martha posted on pg4 of this thread (http://myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=237&page=4), do you think that this Tower sofa on the H&M site is antelope nugget too?

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1496

I like the look of whatever the leather is on this sofa. However, I seem to like 'shiny' leathers better on more formal sofas than the cushy ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tower.JPG 
Views:	455 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	285  

OK, now that is a really good guess! Its not Antelope Nugget on that sofa, but you're not far off. That's a grade 3 leather called Equestrian Truffle. Its a tad lighter in hue than the Antelope Nugget, and actually a lower sheen as well.
    Duane Collie

rosemiller Guest

Default antelope vs columbia

Duane, I also was wondering about the Antelope. I had a sample of the Antelope nugget and the columbia molasses. I like both a great deal and am trying to decide if cost is worth the difference for the two grades. Any thoughts. I do not esp care for the mottled looks.

I have not seen any comments on the cavalier leather. (mocha, molasses, taupe) Do you like it?

Also how do you compare the Restoration sofa to the Donovan sofa? If possible please reply this evening. Thanks so much.

There's a pretty large spread between Antelope and Columbia. While I like Columbia for a Class 1 hide, it certainly cannot compete wtih the Class 3 Antelope. The latter is far more rich-looking, with deep translucent colors under a protective topcoat.

However there is a considerable price difference. It really comes down to your budget and disposable income, AND what you will happy looking at for the next 20 years. Only you can decide that. Think of it as buying a bottle of wine. The Columbia is the $11.00 bottle that is well thought of in its price range, but the Antelope is the $ 35,.00 bottle which is considered a top vintage. If you are the $ 11 a bottle person, get the Columbia!

Cavalier is a typical Chinese tannery finished leather. I think its great when you can buy it on the T&C Married cover program, but outside the program there are better class 2 leathers than it.

Donovan is larger than the Restoration, and sits deeper/higher. Both are good. I tend to like the Donovan and Cabo sofas quite a bit. Watch doorway openings on the Donovan, its going to want around a 34" entry.
    Duane Collie

barbja Guest

I haven't encountered the Restoration, but I have tried the Donovan. Although it may look austere, I thought it was pretty comfy and a good a 'sitting on' sofa. The arms and back were a good height and the seat depth pretty good. I really liked the look and feel of it, but I personally wanted a sofa that was good for lounging too, and at only 21.5" interior depth, I felt kind of confined on the Donovan. However, if your sofa isn't for "laying on your side and watching TV", I think the Donovan is a great choice.