Thread: Steve Jobs R.I.P.

Default Steve Jobs R.I.P.

By now we've all heard of Steve Job's passing. He was a true business visionary, and I've come to really enjoy Apple products (typing this on a Mac) and think the world will be a lesser place without him.

I was having dinner last month in Baltimore at the Grand Prix with Dr. Mike Choti, my cancer surgeon, who met up with us gear-heads in Little Italy just a few blocks from his Johns Hopkins office. Jobs had just resigned from Apple the prior week and we got to talking about during dinner in our group. He said "Jobs has the same kind of cancer you have (Carcinoid), the difference is his is attached to his Pancreas and yours is attached to your Small Intestine, and both you had extensive liver involvement. I was able to operate and remove yours, but the Pancreas is an angry organ and doesn't like to be touched. By the way, I never told you this but you've beat all the statistical data, which says your cancer should have returned."

Jobs and I both had our surgeries about the same time (5 years ago) and he needed a liver transplant, I got by with a liver resection (60% removal). I'm good to go these days and he didn't make it. Obviously Jobs had FAR more money and fame than yours truly, but at the end of the day that doesn't really matter, does it? Life has some strange twists. Guess I'm needed for the Furniture Forum......

Thanks Steve Jobs, for all my electronic toys, my iMac, iPhone, and iPad and all the kid's iPods. You fought that cancer hard and hung in there to the end. Well done.

P.S. If you ever need a good cancer gut surgeon, go see Doc Choti at Hopkins. He's a world class cutter.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Steve Jobs R.I.P.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/steve-jobs-treatment-biographer-jobs-delayed-surgery-pancreatic/story?id=14781250

I will be the first to admit that NO ONE wants to be opened up stem-to-stern and sliced n' diced, but you have to face facts, grit your teeth and do it.

There is a strong underlying current of mortal fear, kept in the shadows - that everyone must be overcome with determination and reality when you are faced with major health issues. Most do, but some cannot get past it. It appears Jobs could not put his fears aside in time for it to be beneficial, and it killed him. When he finally stopped screwing around with meditation, specialty diets and quack doctors, it was too late.

Of course I can't prove it - but I know in my core being that had he gone to see Doc Choti and the Hopkins team when he was first diagnosed, he'd be doing fine today. I haven't been able to find evidence of a single Carcinoid patient that has gone to Choti who died from the disease, and I have looked both on the 'net and in the specialty cancer forums. The right doctor, the right treatment protocol, and the inner willingness to do what needs be done is the key.

There are no 'do-overs' in cancer. Best get it right the first time. I'm still on the cancer soapbox, six years later - sorry! I know, I sound like a broken record.
    Duane Collie

organic_smallhome Guest

God love you, Duane. I have a friend who's had 3 bouts of cancer--first, lymphoma (in her 20s, in the hospital for months), then reproductive, and then--a couple of years ago--oral. She's now in her late 40s. In the last bout, she had to have part of her tongue removed and then go through reconstructive surgery, chemotherapy, radiation (again, the latter two for the third time). As a result of her second bout, she developed an eye disease in which her eyes now permanently bulge out of the sockets. Not ONCE have I heard her complain. Ever. It amazes me. I am in awe of both of you. Should it ever happen to me, I would be, I'm absolutely certain of it, headed over a cliff, and would make everybody's life miserable.

Brenda O Guest

That was the topic of discussion in my work-out group this morning here in Silicon Valley. One person, an Apple employee, talked about the moving memorial service, and that few people knew that he had spent several crucial months pursuing alternative treatments for such a serious diagnosis. I also know that although the S.F. Bay Area has many "top" medical centers - there is tremendous value in knowing of the leaders in a particular area - and I've put Doc Choti & the Hopkins team in my reference file.
    Thanks for posting drcollie! And don't stop.

samfarkus Guest

I think jobs knew his days were numbered when he lost all that weight. He had alot of affairs to get in order and didnt want a sudden death on the operating table messing up his legacy, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    God love you, Duane. I have a friend who's had 3 bouts of cancer--first, lymphoma (in her 20s, in the hospital for months), then reproductive, and then--a couple of years ago--oral. She's now in her late 40s. In the last bout, she had to have part of her tongue removed and then go through reconstructive surgery, chemotherapy, radiation (again, the latter two for the third time). As a result of her second bout, she developed an eye disease in which her eyes now permanently bulge out of the sockets. Not ONCE have I heard her complain. Ever. It amazes me. I am in awe of both of you. Should it ever happen to me, I would be, I'm absolutely certain of it, headed over a cliff, and would make everybody's life miserable.
    Cancer is tough, but you get through it once you decide you want to live. I do some volunteer hotline work on Cancer as well and I am always shocked at the number of folks that decide they don't want to get in the fight on it, especially if its surgical. Giving up was never an option for me, but a lot of folks are not willing to go much beyond taking a pill for their disease. You'd be surprised at your inner strength that comes when you have to deal with something like that, and if you have a few people in your corner to help you make the fight it makes all the difference in the world. A good cheerleader(s) make the task easier to manage. Going to war with cancer is a lot like a military war...the veterans dont' often talk about it except among themselves!
    Duane Collie