Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New leather recliner, back not aligned with arm?

motifone Guest

Default New leather recliner, back not aligned with arm?

Hello

Just received a new recliner we custom ordered. This is a $2k recliner, so expectations should be high. We liked the recliner for its clean profile.

On the recliner we received, the back (when up closed) does not cleanly hug the arm. In fact, there's about a 2" gap. This gap is not present on floor model or online example. See pic of ours compared to manufacturer example.

Is this a tolerance to be expected? Seems awfully large to me, and the chair looses its clean look.

I need to talk to the store, but would be curious on opinions. thanks you kindly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	2883

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: New leather recliner, back not aligned with arm?

What's the brand, out of curiosity?

motifone Guest

C & B (If I'm allowed to say)

That seems to be excessive. Many of those backs on slip-fits, have you tried simply pushing down on the back to seat it lower into the frame? It may have moved out of its slot during shipping. If not, that's easily adjustable by either the factory or a local upholsterer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

motifone Guest

Thanks for the idea. I gave it a bit of a push and didn't seem to budge. I"m not super familiar with construction on recliners, so perhaps I am not pushing in the right direction. That said, if I were to simply push this down into place, I imagine it would create excessive slack in the leather flap on the back.... the design/profile of the model chair is pretty tight & clean so there's not a lot of loose leather on the lower back when the chair is in an upright position.

The store is looking into the issue....

For what it's worth, the angle of the back seems a bit shallow as well. Seems like it should go back a bit more. What if you lifted up then pushed down at more of an angle.

It depends on how its made. Low to moderate brands like La-Z-Boy and Flexsteel have slip in backs, that are sleeved metal-to-metal. The back slots into the base. Better recliners are screwed to the mechanism itself, then upholstered around it. If the screws were not tight enough, it could slip out of alignment. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

Are you 100 % positive the photo you are using as the 'correct' chair is actually a recliner, and not a stationary chair? The reason I ask is the more I study it - the more I think the tolerances are VERY close for a motion piece. Its pretty rare to see that tight a clearance. If that's a stock photo off a website, then I think you may be looking at something else. I have (14) leather recliners in my store right now from four different makers (and (3) more at home) and I went and looked at them all today - none are as tight on tolerances as that one you show in the photo. When they get too close in gaps, things wear and chafe....which is why I think it may be of a non-motion piece.
    Duane Collie

motifone Guest

Hi Duane and Julia

Thanks for your additional input. Indeed, the chair is deceiving in appearance and is a motion piece (recliner). In fact, that's one of the reasons we picked it -- the floorspace for a recliner in our living room is limited, and you can see the chair from all sides, so we really wanted something that would retain a clean, tight appearance when in upright position. We were able to view & sit in a model first hand in the store as well, and the store model is as cleanly put together as the example seen online. And though the pieces come together in a nice snug form, there doesn't seem to be any abrasion. That said, not only does our piece have the gap, but the top doesn't fully close to contact the arms. Something, somewhere wasn't assembled as it should have been it seems. I think the observation that the back should have been placed both lower and at a slight angle is probably correct in terms of closing the gap.

Duane, I did peek inside the chair and took a pic as well.... the back seems to be screwed to the mechanism. I'm not sure if linking to the product is allowed, but here it is, and you can view it from different angles.

http://tinyurl.com/4xpv8ya

I'll also attach some more pics (color is wonky in them, ignore that). At the moment, the store has been responsive and looking into it, but it's been helpful getting input here. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	2893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	2894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	2895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	2896  

That's a classic alignment issue seeing those detail photos, and its unacceptable. Most likely it will need to be returned to the factory for re-work. I don't see that too often, but once every couple of years I have a recliner come in with big gaps like that and it has to go back.
    Duane Collie