Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New leather recliner, back not aligned with arm?

motifone Guest

Default Re: New leather recliner, back not aligned with arm?

Thanks, Duane. I'll update the thread once the issue is resolved. Your assessment is what I expect will happen.

motifone Guest

Duane,

You mentioned low to moderate end recliners use a slip on back, whereas "higher" end models/manufacturing tend to screw the back into the mechanism. I'm curious, from the photo I posted in my last series (looking inside the recliner from the side), is it possible to tell what method this manufacturer used. If it is the screw type and they need to unscrew & re-screw to get the alignment right into the same piece of wood, does that compromise the integrity or strength of the materials or piece? Of course, I have no control over how it will be adjusted, but love being educated so I have the vocabulary for a discussion.

Cheers.
    Last edited by motifone; 10-20-2011 at 05:30 PM.

It probably just slipped out of the jig or template at the factory when they were screwing it on. That's an easy fix at the manufacturer, and won't take them much more than 20 minutes to do. I would think it would be fine being re-screwed, that will be going into plywood - so as long as they have enough to get a clean bite they should be OK.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

motifone Guest

Thanks, Duane.
    FYI I made an interesting observation on the recliner tonight -- found a tag on the bottom indicating who seems to have manufactured the chair for C&B. It's actually a very reputable company, known on this board. I think I'll send you a PM on that for now, seeing as how I'm in the process of having this resolved.

OK, I spoke with the owner of H&M today and yes, they do make that recliner for Crate and Barrel but it should not have come with an H&M signature tag. They had some issues with clearance and rubbing from the store display models, and increased the tolerance to prevent that from occurring. That's what you are seeing, though I have to say I think yours is excessive based on the photos. You must be in California, yes? Jack mentioned he spoke with someone about this l week that was from CA.
    Duane Collie

motifone Guest

Wow, gotta love the Internet! Yes, I'm from California so I would suspect Jack spoke with someone from customer service at the store. Duane, I appreciate you taking the time to inquire, and for Jack to provide you some backstory. I never anticipated that sort of feedback when starting this thread That said, I share your opinion that it's excessive. The chair never looks fully upright and closed with the gap. When reasonably aligned, those two surfaces become near contact points rather than areas for rubbing or friction, so they should be able to be closer. Time to continue the conversation with the store I guess.....

I'm like the Internet Detective for Furniture ... lol. Always get to the bottom of things.

There's a fine line on motion furniture alignments, granted they look better when tight and snug, but then you have the wear issues from friction if they're too tight. Yours is excessive however, I would agree with your assessment of it. Probably the right amount is about half the distance between what you have now and what is shown in the 'catalog' or 'floor' model. That one looks good, but its too tight and you would get friction rubs which would manifest as leather color wear, then eventually into the hide itself. And it would make leather squeaking noises. Should you ever have a friction run on any motion piece, use a little baby powder on the leather - works great.

What will probably happen (and of course I can't speak on behalf of the store, so their solution may be different) is your recliner will be picked up, returned to Hickory NC for adjustment, then brought back to you. Once back at H&M, they can fix that in less than a day, so its really transport times that will take the longest. The store *may* have another unit in stock and can simply swap you out, too....good luck!
    Duane Collie

motifone Guest

Always a fan of good detective work, so thank you kindly!

Your explanation and solution makes sense. Speaking of friction, I'll have them look at the footrest, too. It takes a good push to register it fully closed - lots of rub and friction. Who knows, maybe adjusting that as well will help the back close more. It's a custom order so sending it back for adjustment sounds like the way to go. Thanks!

motifone Guest

Hi Duane

An update -- the store will be taking back the chair to resolve the issue. They've been nice to deal with.

Since this is going back to the factory, I want to make sure everything is addressed. Could I get your insight on two more observations.

1. We like the look of distressed leather, but on a couple very small spots, the top leather has chipped away to reveal the "undyed" leather underneath. Is this fairly easy for them to touch up?

2. On both sides of the chair I'm seeing a single, faint but visible white line running vertically down the leather. I can't imagine this to be a natural marking. It's not a scratch or a scuff, but rather a straight line where the leather is perceptibly lighter. Any ideas what this is? I'm concerned that as the leather ages, this might become more visible with time. As I said, the line is present on both sides, but not in the same place.

Thanks, Duane!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	3075

Those lines look like they may mirror the frame structure underneath (edge of the wood). As the unit is made and stretched over the frame, sometimes that can occur depending on the leather used. It could also be from when the leather may have been folded prior to upholstery. They look pretty faint, personally I'd not be too concerned with them but if you are mention to the store when the come to pickup the piece. Good luck!
    Duane Collie