Thread: Brand name versus recreation of brand name.

jennieb Guest

Default Brand name versus recreation of brand name.

Hi. First time post here, hope you all can help!

I'm unfortunately in love with Restoration Hardware's Lancaster sectional sofa. It's extremely crazily expensive, and so I'm on a mission to find a similar sofa for much less money.

I thought I found a place online which made an almost identical sofa (Uptown Leather), but they've gone out of business. Then I found another place online who said they could build it for me, but I wouldn't be able to sit on it or see it before committing to many thousands of dollars.

I guess the advice I'm after is:

a) I'd love someone to say "don't be a fool and buy that terrible Restoration Hardware stuff! It's badly constructed!"
    b) I'd love to be reassured that oftentimes ordering a couch sight-unseen online is a good way to go.

Am I allowed to ask about specific sofa-making places here? I'm going to jump in and do it -- has anyone bought a couch from SofaCraft in Laguna Beach, CA?

Any advice on pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!
    jennie

jennie

Welcome to our forum. We hope you visit often and take away valuable information that aids you in your purchase. We also invite the members to contribute if only to share some of their experiences, insights, preferences, etc. There are a number of furniture store owners, manufacturers, and experts who contribute regularly, along with everyday enthusiasts who are always ready to offer information.

I personnally do not know much about Restoration Hardware furniture although they have an outlet store about 2 miles from my home in northern Virginia. It seems to me that even at the outlet store where they handle mostly seconds and damaged pieces that the prices are very high.

Buying a major piece of furniture online is risky if you 1) have no experience with the dealer and have no sound references, and 2) sofas and sectionals vary significantly in appearance, comfort, fit, quality, and a host of other criteria. I would find it very difficult to make a choice for such a major purchase sight unseen.

You should visit the forum "Where to Buy? How to Ship?" specifically Buying Guide Out of Area and Furniture Online and Buy Losal or via Internet?

And finally, yes you can ask specific questions regarding manufacturers and retail outlets/stores.

Again Welcome
    Larry

soster Guest

You can ask those questions. I took a look at that sofa online. You can get the same look for less, visit some local independent stores.

Quote Originally Posted by jennieb View Post

I'm unfortunately in love with Restoration Hardware's Lancaster sectional sofa. It's extremely crazily expensive, and so I'm on a mission to find a similar sofa for much less money.

a) I'd love someone to say "don't be a fool and buy that terrible Restoration Hardware stuff! It's badly constructed!"

b) I'd love to be reassured that oftentimes ordering a couch sight-unseen online is a good way to go.

Am I allowed to ask about specific sofa-making places here? I'm going to jump in and do it -- has anyone bought a couch from SofaCraft in Laguna Beach, CA?
    Welcome Jennie!

Well, here's the deal on the Restoration Hardware pieces.....while they're not going to fall apart, they're about 2x more expensive than their build quality and style warrant (IMHO). Restoration Hardware's quality is decent, its simply overpriced for what it is. You're paying for that mall location and slick catalog they send out.

That sectional you're looking at is a very typical Lawson Arm style, box cushions, with a straight edge, bun foot. Almost every maker has that in their line. If you browse around this forum you'll find I'm a big Hancock and Moore fan. They're are the Gold Standard for USA-made leather furniture. Here's a similar sectional that's available in their Town and Country Program for $ 5,585 + shipping (my price in leather Document Saddle):

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1007

One that even looks closer to the Lancaster piece you are seeking is this one:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1735

Just from the on-line photos you can see the H&M product line is tailored nicer, with cushions more even across the frame and higher crowns in the seats, and they sit better than Restoration Hardware products as well (now as deep, not as enveloping).

As for buying sight unseen....I hear that 3x daily, and yes, it takes a leap of faith to do that. Some folks can do it, others can't. If you get a good dealer that has handled a lot of pieces they can tell you how a particular one sits, and unless someone is particularly large, or small, then we all have approximately the same body types. Certain pieces for example, I will NOT recommend anyone buy without trying them out first, one that comes to mind are the Bradington-Young dual recliner sofas (I find the back angles too steep and lumbar support lacking), others such as the H&M line of product - well - I've never had a customer dissatisfied with the comfort levels using standard cushions, so they're usually a safe bet as far as comfort goes.

Like Steve says, shop around! Call around and ask for a Lawson Arm Sectional with a box back and seat, and you'll find several to go look at, I'm sure. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jennieb Guest

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all your advice. It seems a little illogical to me to plop down the price of a used car for a couch I haven't taken a seat on, so I'll start my hunt by calling around and asking local places if they have a Lawson Arm-style couch. (I am in the SF bay area. If any of you know a reputable place here, I would appreciate the referral.)

I also appreciate the Restoration Hardware advice... it seems clear that they can charge what they do because of their name. I still love that Lancaster couch, though - I love how deep and floppy it is, which won't be best for my back, but it sure is comfortable. I cross my fingers that I'll be able to find it for half the price somewhere else.

I'm going to go read more archives now and learn some stuff. I'll assume I can get a good education on types of leather here!

Thanks again,
    Jennie

jennieb Guest

I just thought of another question and so will reply to myself.

Would it make sense to find out who manufactures the RH sofa and go directly to them? Do people do that?

jennie

Quote Originally Posted by jennieb View Post
    I just thought of another question and so will reply to myself.

Would it make sense to find out who manufactures the RH sofa and go directly to them? Do people do that?

jennie
    Jennie,

Don't waste your time, that's tilting at windmills. Manufacturers will not want to jeopardize their relationship on a private label product by underselling their client direct to the public. That's the kiss of death to their business relationship if they do.
    Duane Collie

soster Guest

Ask for a roll-arm sofa. Asking for a Lawson arm is like asking for a bidet.... you only find it at the expensive places. Asking for roll arm sofa is like asking for the toilet... you find it everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by soster View Post
    Ask for a roll-arm sofa. Asking for a Lawson arm is like asking for a bidet.... you only find it at the expensive places. Asking for roll arm sofa is like asking for the toilet... you find it everywhere.
    That's the first time I've heard that put that way, Steve! Hilarious!
    Duane Collie

jennieb Guest

Okay, hunting down the manufacturer is a bad idea, and I should only ask for toilets and not bidets when I call around. Wait. Only roll arms.

Thanks, you guys.

Anybody done business with Customs House (buildasofa.com) in San Francisco?

jennie