Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a Deep Seat Sectional

kitkat Guest

Default Shopping for a Deep Seat Sectional

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and thank anyone in advance who might be able to help.

My husband and I are looking for a deep seat leather sectional (ala RH model) and have seen a few for sale in stores in the Orlando area. Can't say I'm impressed yet, although one store sells Classic Leather sofas, and swears this is the way to go. They don't have a floor model with a deep seat.

The same store is also getting a RH rip-off, (I mean look-alike) floor model from Omnia and the salesman says the quality is 'alright.'

On the internet I've found RH copies from a company called Casco Bay...(Can't look at the actual model or SIT in in person, so am not convinced, tho the sales pitch via internet is impressive.)
    http://cascobayfurniture.com/pages.p...ath=11&pID=131

We're looking for an American made, 8-way hand tied sectional that will WEAR for years. My husband wants a 40+ inch deep seat, (ala the RH sectional.)

Drcollie, your posts are excellent! I know you're a fan of H&M, but I can't imagine finding anything they have well priced?

I LOVE the Brandington-Young chair we bought in Hickory about 7 years ago, but they don't have deep seating and I understand they're now made in China?

My dilemma is clouded by our last sectional decision! About 8 years ago we went to Hickory, North Carolina and bought a custom ordered sectional made my Century from the old Boyle's store. Spent a huge bunch of money, (on an upholstered sectional) and it's been awful! Debate about whether the issue is the coils in the cushions, or the frame. Anyway, learned the name isn't everything. We'll be donating this sectional to the first anyone who will come and get it!

Thank you to anyone who can help in this process! It's a big decision for us and I'm trying to get it right.

Default Re: Shopping for a deep seat sectional...Attn drcollie

Classic Leather is not bad, but also not what they used to be. They have moved into plywood frames (like most makers) in an effort to keep costs down, so I would put them on par with Bradington Young. Omnia is nothing to write home about, and Casco Bay is just another mid-line unit that some people rave about and others rave at.

Bradington Young is not made in China. Its done in North Carolina. They do have a Chinese line that's sold under the name of "Seven Seas" collection. Some of their pieces sit fairly deep, but you really have to look at inside measurements as a guide, not outside. 20" to 22" inside depth is pretty well industry standard. At 23" we start getting into the 'deeper' units and only a few will go beyond 24: inside depth.

I can't tell you what to buy, because I don't know your comfort level on budget. In leather, there are only two companies left that are still in the USA using 8-way Hand-Tied construction on solid wood frames, and they are Leathercraft and Hancock and Moore. Everyone else has moved to plywood or are 'looping' their springs, not knotting them in the classic and correct fashion. That's where you have to be if you want solid, durable construction. After that, you are giving up features for price. I still thing Bradington Young offers good value, but its not built like those other two. The older I get and the longer I stay in this business I am absolutely convinced that it pays to by top tier 'old school' furniture as it stays useful and intact for decades.

Today I was on the phone with a man who said to me (and I am not making this up): "I'm tired of buying sofas. I'm on my 4th sofa in 7 years, all this stuff is crap and falls apart, do you have anything that can last five years?"

"Sure! Everything I have in my store will go far beyond that and not deteriorate when you're using it." I told him.

"Well......how much does one of those sofas cost?" he queries.

I tell him "$ 2,500 and up, depending on how fancy you get."

"TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS AND EVEN MORE!?!?!, WHY, I AIN't PAYIN' THAT !" he counters.

"And that is why you are on your 4th sofa in 7 years"......I told him.

Brand names are not reliable, as companies (like Classic Leather) change their build specs constantly. What is reliable however, is studying what makes a good piece of furniture and using your own eyes and touch to see if what a maker offers measures up.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kitkat Guest

The cheap couch is part of what has become our disposable mentality. Very American. Many people would rather buy something cheap made in China than something of quality made in the U.S...Just to save a few dollars. Other people can’t afford the extra dollars so their money goes to China.

Not just furniture...Try buying an American made lawn mower or virtually anything in Home Depot. It may have a very old American trusted name but somewhere it will probably say 'made in China'.

Thanks for the furniture information. Am still at a loss as none of those manufactures are making a RH clone sectional like the RH Lancaster.

I found a company in NC who does. They're called The Comfortable Couch. Has anyone heard of them? http://thecomfortablecouch.com/default.aspx

Unlike Casco Bay they have a storefront in N.C.

Thanks for any opinions!

Here's the thing....people THINK they are saving money buying less costly imported goods. But lets take that gentleman who called me yesterday for example. Four sofas in 7 years. If he paid $ 995 "On Sale" for each one, then he's into them for $ 4,000. He could have bought just one Hancock and Moore for less than that $ 4K and at seven years of age its not even at 1/3 of its lifespan. End result is over time - he's paying more in order to avoid doing it right the first time with a larger capital outlay.

But like they say "You pays your money and you takes your choice!"
    Duane Collie

kitkat Guest

Okay, so we've established you get what you pay for.

Can you recommend a specific leather sectional from either HM or Brandington Young with the DEEP seating like the RH Lancaster sectional?

There has to be somebody making a good one. I've found at least a dozen clones but none that I can be sure of in terms of quality.

Thanks!

I have no idea how deep that sofa might be...dimensions help!
    Duane Collie

If we're talking about this,
    Quote Originally Posted by 98" LANCASTER LEATHER CORNER SECTIONAL
    98" Corner Sectional: 98"W x 98"D x 35"H
    109" Corner Sectional: 109"W x 109"D x 35"H
    123" Right-Facing L-Sectional: 123"W x 98"D x 35"H
    123" Left-Facing L-Sectional: 123"W x 98"D x 35"H
    136" Right-Facing L-Sectional: 136"W x 109"D x 35"H
    136" Left-Facing L-Sectional: 136"W x 109"D x 35"H
    114" U-Chaise Sectional: 114"W x 68"D x 35"H
    123" U-Chaise Sectional: 123"W x 70"D x 35"H
    134" U-Sofa Sectional: 134"W x 98"D x 35"H
    149" U-Sofa Sectional: 149"W x 109"D x 35"H
    34" clearance needed for delivery.

kitkat Guest

Default Re: Shopping for a Deep Seat Sectional

We're looking for a 98'' corner sectional Aaron mentioned above. Seat depth is about 48" deep.

Outside depth is misleading, its the inside depth that matters. 23"? 26" ? What size do you want to do? And in a Sectional, correct?
    Duane Collie

kitkat Guest

Drcollie and anyone interested,

These are the two companies who have the leather sectional I'm talking about. Obviously this is a Restoration clone. The RH one is made in China and we want American made.

The first company is Leather Groups. They call it the Langston. On this page they show a short video that not only shows dimensions but more importantly some of the construction.
    http://www.leathergroups.com/shop/La...onal-Sofa.html

The second company is Casco Bay. They call the same leather sectional the Manchester. On this page they not only show the specs but many many photos of the hardwood frame, 8 way hand tied construction, and more.

Here's the page http://cascobayfurniture.com/pages.p...ath=11&pID=131

If you scroll down the page you'll see in gray type:

Click here to see actual photos of our 8 way hand-tied construction. Amazing photos.

Lower down the page...

Click here to see actual photos of a sofa being made in our North Carolina factory.

Lower..

Click here to see actual photos of our hardwood frame.

The dilemma is that the Company is in Maine, or New Hampshire and this factory is in North Carolina. We want to see and sit on any couch before buying it. A gentleman from the company phoned me and was very reassuring (as any saleman or rep should be), and offered that if we weren't satisfied we could pay a 500.00 shipping fee to return it. (shipping is free from both companies.)

On the other had Leather Groups is a very big company and sells many lines of furniture. They say the frame is hardwood, but 'reinforced' and that they use heavy gauge spring suspension. I read that 8 way hand-tied is optional at no charge. On another thread on this website you said that wasn't possible, (conversation was about this exact company) and that they can't just do 8 way without retrofitting.

I've found several other companies who sell them but only one other American one. It's name is Comfortable Couch, what appears to be a small company. http://thecomfortablecouch.com/default.aspx

As far as the size goes we have a bit of room to move in all directions, but the deep seating is the most important aspect. We have a RH store in our town and my husband has been wanting that deep seated sofa forever!

Thank You for your help on this!