Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a Deep Seat Sectional

Default Re: Shopping for a Deep Seat Sectional

Everyone is always trying to invent the better mousetrap. A true 8-way hand-tied on a proper steel band reinforced webbing is and always will be the gold standard. Trouble is, its costly to make that way and not every consumer wants to buy in that price range.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Matthew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Everyone is always trying to invent the better mousetrap. A true 8-way hand-tied on a proper steel band reinforced webbing is and always will be the gold standard. Trouble is, its costly to make that way and not every consumer wants to buy in that price range.
    No one has disputed that in this thread. No one has ever been able to answer my question though. If only 2 companies actually do 8-way hand-tied properly (as you've stated in other threads), then would a system like the soft-luxe (or some other alternative system, I only mention it because Jeff spoke about the qualities of the soft luxe system in another thread) be as good as those who use a drop in unit or loop instead of tie?

There's a difference between 8-way handtied and 8 way handlooped. Many companies are using the looping method, and skipping the knoting part. Watch the construction video on the H&M website to see the difference.

Suspension systems are all about comfort and support. Is a drop in like soft-luxe better in comfort and support than a drop in unit? Well, they're both really drop-ins, you'd have to judge for yourself. And see how long they last over time as well. Everything is good when new.....time is the test.
    Duane Collie

kitkat Guest

On Matthew's note...I'm asking is the drop in soft luxe system 'better than' the sinuous spring system. Just googled sinuous spring, and sheesh! This sure looks flimsy! http://www.perfectproductsonline.com...ussprings.html

In this picture of the soft-luxe system...Is it me or does it look like the springs do not extend to the edges? Looks as if the springs are like putting a slightly smaller box inside of a slightly bigger box. http://thecomfortablecouch.com/Springs.aspx

So, I probably just answered my own question..It appears the soft-lux system is 'better' than a sinuous spring drop in.

Guess my real question is how will the soft-lux hold up over time? If a sinuous spring system might last five years, how long would the soft-lux last?...Assuming the 8 way hand-tied will last what? 20 years, 10 years?

Matthew, I'm assuming the 'only two companies' who use 8 way hand-tied are companies that make leather only. I know interior designers who buy extreme high end furniture for clients...Okay I just googled Kreiss Furniture and they don't even use 8 way hand-tied! Kreiss furniture is X-tremely expensive.

Here's an interesting description under Wikipedia of upholstery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upholstery

Sinuous springs are about as cheap a spring system as you can put in a piece. Most ANYTHING is better, and I would thing the soft-luxe probably splits the difference between 8-Way and Sinuous. As for longevity...who knows? Only time will tell...

How long will an 8-way hand-tied last? More that a lifetime if its done correctly, with proper webbing and steel strap reinforcement. Like most anything made, a piece is only as good as the weakest component. Webbing is critical, as it supports the springs. Poor webbing and the springs sag....there's a lot of expense to do it right.

Go to this link and watch at the 3:02 mark to the 4:32 mark if you want to see it done right.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/video.asp
    Duane Collie

Sofadoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    If anyone has any thoughts about The Comfortable Couch store, http://thecomfortablecouch.com/default.aspx or Casco Bay, http://www.cascobayfurniture.com/ Please share your thoughts!
    I shared my thoughts yesterday on Cascobay in this thread but they were taken down.
    Apparently Cascobay spends time scouring the internet for negative comments about their company and works to get those comments removed.

Matthew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sofadoo View Post
    I shared my thoughts yesterday on Cascobay in this thread but they were taken down.
    Apparently Cascobay spends time scouring the internet for negative comments about their company and works to get those comments removed.
    I was going to dispute that by pointing to a thread on these forums in which I was critical of of Casco Bay's internet practices, but it seems like that thread has disappeared as well. Maybe I just can't find it, but that's a little disturbing.

I have removed negative comments with no basis in fact on Casco Bay at the request of their owners. I realize no one likes censorship, but comments can be damaging to a company when they are based on heresay and unsubstantiated. Normally I will not remove them, but when a company makes a specific request for me to do so (and Casco Bay did) I believe it fair and prudent to do so after reviewing the posts and determining they were based on speculation. That's a judgement call on my part, and one I don't take lightly. If comments are based on fact or personal experience, that's a different story and those will never be edited. I did send a PM to Sofadoo explaining why I did take that action. Matthew, your comments were not specifically edited.
    Duane Collie

Matthew Guest

I was referring to comments I made in a separate thread about Casco Bay a few months ago (the entire thread seems to be missing). That said, this is a private forum. You're certainly entitled to take whatever editorial means you deem appropriate, and since you're at least up front about it I don't have a particular issue with it. The fact that Casco Bay emailed you does essentially confirm my belief that they do some sketchy "marketing" on various forums of this type. If nothing else, it reaffirms my belief that they aren't a company I'd want anything to do with. If a company has to act questionably in their marketing, it general means their products are questionable as well.

organic_smallhome Guest

There was a thread on Garden Web with several posts from "satisfied" Casco Bay customers--most of the posts appeared after a post from the Casco Bay staff. There's something creepy about a company that trolls private furniture forums.