Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a Deep Seat Sectional

Default Re: Shopping for a Deep Seat Sectional

Moderating a forum, or a mail list, is never fun.

On one hand, you want to have Freedom of Speech for all members and on the other, there is a risk of lawsuit if you allow unsubstantiated criticism of a competitive business on a privately held forum. While I generally do not censor, I will kill any threads that take us down the slamming-a-company-road when its based on heresay, especially if I get a complaint from that company on the thread or if I know it to be false or a disgruntled employee, etc. The owner of Casco Bay indicated the thread was slanderous in his email to me and that influenced my decision to remove it. I do not wish to test the legal waters of what can or can not be said about a company in a forum that I own and operate, and monitor.

Additional emails followed from Casco Bay last night regarding more mentions of their products in this venue, and my response was that I am not going to trim all reference to their product line in the forums they may find not to their liking, and will only respond to specific issues. I further indicated they are more than welcome to respond to all questions and concerns about their product line here in the forums and encouraged them to do so.

Now, if someone wants to bring me a Casco Bay product and drop it by in my parking lot, I'll grab my Sawzall and Razor Knife, and we'll take it apart and see how its made. I think that would be fun - and educational! I always like to take furniture apart and see what's inside.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

snowfly Guest

drcollie, can I ask you if you have done the same for leathergroups? I almost went with Casco Bay initially because all I could find were positive reviews but so glad to have stumbled on this information.
    I am now looking at Leathergroups, can't find any negative reviews but disheartened that this is a possibility.

I've never heard of "Leathergroups", sorry! Looking at their website, it's pretty much a slash n' burn / super-sale kind of website.
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-27-2011 at 01:38 AM.
    Duane Collie

kitkat Guest

Hello Duane,

Long time and my husband and I are still shopping. We live in a large urban area! and most of what's out there is just plain junk.

The RH clones are just a bit too big for our room, and I finally found a leather sectional by Classic called the Tamarack Sectional.

I know you've stated before that Classic has switched to plywood frames, but I honestly can't find anything else wrong with this company...Expensive yes, but the Tamarack leather section fits our needs with being American made, 8 way hand tied, and the leather is very nice. The Tamarack has a very deep seat, (when you remove the excessive number of leather pillows that sit in front of the back cushions)...

Duane, why don't you carry Classic Leather!

Are you or any of your readers familiar with this sectional? I'm curious because it's in the Classic catalogue in the store, but not in Classic's online catalogue. (They have other Tamarack items, but they don't show the leather sectional.)

We're looking at getting the 2511-c corner piece and the left facing and right facing loveseats to Voila! create the sized sectional we want. About 107 x 107. Priced at 7950.00 for Grade 1 leather 8602.00 for grade 2 and 9250.00 for grade 3.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks DR for maintaining this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    I know you've stated before that Classic has switched to plywood frames, but I honestly can't find anything else wrong with this company...Expensive yes, but the Tamarack leather section fits our needs with being American made, 8 way hand tied, and the leather is very nice. The Tamarack has a very deep seat, (when you remove the excessive number of leather pillows that sit in front of the back cushions)...

Duane, why don't you carry Classic Leather!
    There is nothing at all wrong with Classic Leather brand and you'll probably be very happy with the purchase, I'd not be concerned in buying one if there was a specific model I liked. But yes, they are 100 % plywood - and that's OK - Bradington Young and most others are made that way, too. Just make sure you are not paying a solid hardwood price for a plywood piece. I'm guessing it should sell in the $ 5K to $ 7K range. Did you know the founders and owners of Hancock and Moore all worked at Classic Leather in the 70's? True story!

I don't carry Classic Leather for a number of reasons - though the rep has been by many times to see if I would pick up the line:

* My store is small. I have to give good representation to the lines I carry which means multiple floor models of each maker's products. Nothing is more frustrating for customers to drive an hour to a store and they only have one piece to show on a given product line.

* Diluted product line & Duplication. I don't see many unique items in their offerings, mostly its the same kind of product I already have covered from other makers. Except of course, for the Harley Davidson logo line they do, but I've yet to have the first customer that wants a $ 4,000 leather sofa with "HARLEY - DAVIDSON" embroidered in the back cushion. I already have three leather lines, don't need four.

* $$$ Volume. The line has to generate numbers to keep it active, and I only get asked for Classic Leather maybe once per year. If a dealer doesn't do a certain annual volume of sales in a given line, they won't send out updates on leathers and fabrics - or even price books to the dealer. Nothing is more frustrating that that for a dealer to not have current Point of Sale material.

* My Memory. I pride myself in KNOWING my product lines inside and out. The more lines I carry, the harder it is to recall the nuances with a particular feature or the names of the ladies in Customer Service. My brain can only hold so much!

I am going to discontinue Southwood Upholstery immediately and mark down / clear out remaining floor stock. I may replace it with a line called "Wesley Hall" as soon as floor space becomes available. That's probably what I have my eye on next. Watch the Vendor Classified in the Flea Market next week for photos and killer pricing on remaining floor stock in Southwood.
    Duane Collie

kitkat Guest

Wow! I knew I loved this forum. I really appreciate that you give good information, and that you know not just the product lines you sell, but virtually ALL the major lines.

Yep, I heard the story about the H&M folks and Classic Leather...Our salesman knows all the history, and knows the family at Classic Leather. Interesting story! Thanks for your appraisal of Classic Leather.

Here's an image of what I'm looking at...You can zoom in it. (This is a huge piece!) as I said we would get the left and right love seats..each with a rolled arm, plus a corner chair, (not shown) to make a reasonably sized L shaped 107 x107 sectional.

Priced from 7950.00 to 9250.00 based on leather. Duane, if you have anything with a seat this deep...Please share, I'd love to shop your store!

Here's the Classic Leather Tamarack Sectional...A giant one! NOT WHERE I'M BUYING FROM! Any thoughts from you or your readers would be greatly appreciated.

Duane, we'd toss this front leather pillows aside to get the deep seat.
    http://www.furniturebuy.com/classic-...-sofa-cl34419/

Well, its an information / educational forum, not a sales pitch one, so I'll try to answer all questions as best I can but I'm really not all that well-versed in all product lines. Usually the only way you can tell how something is made is to tear it down or go make a factory visit, and my competitors tend to get pretty excited if I go in their store with my box cutter to cut open a competing brand

Wow - that's a very unique piece, pillow-on-pillow. I don't have anything like that, in fact I've not seen that anywhere before. $8K to $ 9K seems a tad high based on LS/LS/Corner configuration for Classic Leather - you may want to shop that one.

I can't tell the inside depth - that's not on that site you linked to and that model is not on the Classic Leather Web Site. I assume it was a Market Drop from Classic at the Spring Market, you may want to check and see if its still available to order.
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    Duane Collie

kitkat Guest

It's the depth that makes it unique...Don't like the extra pillows. The specs show the seat depth Overall=47 Inside depth =21-29, remarks 29 no pillows. So it's the depth we're after...Will toss those front pillows aside for the full 29 inch depth.

Although last night noticed in the zoom feature that there are 'odd buttons?' on the bottom corners of each of the small front pillows...Wonder what that's about! Would have to nix that. Can anyone else see these buttons and know what they are and why they're there?

Not trying to sales pitch, but am desperately looking for a leather sectional with the same seat depth option to compare to!

(This sectional has been in their catalogue for at least a year...We dismissed it earlier when we were focused on the RH clone.

LOVE the Bradington Young Sterling leather sectional! Great look, but a very traditional seat depth. Here's the BY Sterling for someone looking for a beautiful leather sectional! http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...ONAL&style=221

Okay, want to educate some folks Duane? Check this out! Exact dimensions we want in a leather sectional, and it's a leather sectional at about half the price! Take a look, What a savings...About 4000,00 less than the Classic leather sectional, and the exact dimensions we want. What could be wrong? And American made. This is an education opportunity, I think. Deep seated leather sectional at ClubFurniture...http://www.clubfurniture.com/shgscleseso.html Now this piece would be fun to see the chainsaw take apart!

To be fair, I don't think you'd need to take a chainsaw to examine Classic Leather products. The tailoring on their work looks beautiful to me, and they have a long history of making quality furniture. I agree that it's very expensive...That's why I'm still looking for an option!

I don't think I have any makers doing a 29" depth interior sectional - are you sure you want it that deep? Thats REALLY deep - and makes it difficult to sit in with any back support at all (but its pretty good for lay down napping).

One of those reasons that Classic piece is more costly is all those extra pillows are a major expense, and it appears to be much larger and with a chaise in the photo link you sent. I can't see enough detail to pickup on front pillow 'buttons'. Have you seen this piece in person? Sure its still available? Manufacturers keep their websites pretty current these days and its not showing up on Classic's...
    Duane Collie

kitkat Guest

Duane, would only order the right and left arm facing love seats and a corner chair to make up a much smaller sectional. An L shaped 107" x 107". I use the sectional like a chaise...My husband uses the rest. He pulls up a leather ottoman, and stretches out.

Seven years ago we went to Hickory, N.C. and special ordered an upholstered Century sectional. When it was delivered we despised it on sight. The seat depth was not what we expected. We immediately tossed out the back cushions and added a few big throw pillows. So the Century sectional we have now is about 28 inches deep. We like it like that.

Oddly, I'm only 117 pounds, and my husband about 155 pounds...It's that's just how we like to lounge.

I know Century Furntiture is supposed to be great!, but this (expensive sectional) we have...I'll give it to the first person who wants to haul if off. They 'sold us' on seat cushions with coils built in and they are so wonky! It has felt saggy to me for years; It is saggy. And Century has a sterling reputation. Go figure.

How about that deep seated sectional on the Clubfurniture site I linked to? Why shouldn't I buy that one, it's the exact same size as the Classic Leather one we want and it's half the price? What a deal...I could save about 4000.00! Hmmm, maybe I've learned something on this site.

Supposedly this Classic Leather sectional is available. Am going to call the factory tomorrow to make sure, and see if perhaps we can order it without the extra pillows. We would like to sit in the actual sofa as well, but the local store has another Classic leather sectional on the floor, and I'm guessing the difference might be in the leather we choose.

My understanding is that Classic Leather is the only well known company that cuts their leather in house. Seems like a benefit to me.