Thread: Building Home - need furniture

Threaded View

Jane A Guest

Default Building Home - need furniture

We're in the process of building our long dreamed of strawbale house. I love the layout and the big greatroom we've got, but the furniture placement (sofa, chairs, etc.) is not really intuitive to me. I have ideas, but thought I'd throw this room out to you all and see if there are any suggestions I haven't thought of.

The greatroom is about 28' wide, and it's 20' from the sliding doors to the center island at the kitchen. There is a lovely view out the double sliding glass doors which are 12 foot in width. The wood stove is on one side of the doors and the very large flat screen TV is on the other side. The TV will be on an arm, so we can move it around a bit. It's just my husband and myself, and I don't watch much TV myself, but often like to read or do something else in the livingroom while my husband watches. And sometimes we do watch movies together.

I think he'd like an Austin High Back recliner, though it's not the classiest chair out there, it sounds really comfortable. I thought we'd put that in front of the TV, and then next to that place a sofa that looks nice and also somewhat complements the Austin. The sofa would be centered on the sliding doors. We won't have an entertainment center, the stereo equipment, DVR, etc will all be in a separate dedicated closet. When it comes to livingroom furniture we're pretty much starting from scratch.

Well, that's a start anyway. I've seen some very clever ideas from the people here and if I could get some ideas generated I'd be very appreciative! I've attached a portion of our plans from the architect. Ther's a bit of extraneous numbering and lettering on the page, hopefully it's not too distracting.

Jane
    Attached Files Attached Files