Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Home - need furniture

Jane A Guest

Default Re: Building Home - need furniture

So sorry to seem impatient, I'm really not! Just excited, I guess.

I love the idea of a bench of some sort around the stove area. I am not sure about space, though. This weekend while the site is empty of workers I'm going to clear out the greatroom area and draw chalk outlines of the various furniture pieces we've talked about. I'll watch to make sure we're not lining things up in a row or turning it into a "bowling alley". I'm hopng that with the kitchen behind it, and the center island with the stools, that it won't appear that way.

I agree about the killer bar stools.

Jane

Good idea to tape it off, or even use cardboard templates as thy allow you to move things around. Some kind of bench in front of the stove fireplace I think will work well, even if just a small one.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jane A Guest

Okay, we've played with furniture placement in the room. Now that you've pointed out the awkwardness of the room I'm feeling a bit nervous about how it will end up working out. The big challenge is having a good conversational grouping. However, it is what it is!

We're leaning towards getting the big 110" Sundance (4717) and a recliner with ottoman for my husband. I've done a search on this site and the consensus seems to be that the Sundance is a very comfortable sofa. However, it's been pointed out that the back of the sofa leans back more than most and I'm wondering if we're going to like that. If any Sundance owners want to speak to that or chime in with their opinion on how it sits I'd love to hear from them. What is the degree of the angle? I have no idea where to go to actually sit in one, though I am investigating that. We may have to make out ultimate decision as a leap of faith.

After looking at the layout, I don't see room for a bench. The hearth is raised and will provide seating (unless it's too hot!), I can't put a bench in front of that. There is room on the wall by the entry to the bedroom, but I have an old windsor chair from my grandmother that I would like to put there. It could be moved around as needed.

As far as the chair, I was thinking the high back Austin, but it sure isn't as pretty as some of the others! What other tilt back chairs that can be paired with an ottoman can we look at? For the ottoman, my husband really likes the Austin storage ottoman, because he could put his laptop on it. I'm thinking it doesn't have to be paired with an Austin chair. I'd be inclined to do something fun with part of it it in a tooled leather like Loredo Whiskey or Flora Honey.

So, there are our thoughts for now. Any and all comments or information would be gratefully received!

aluebcke Guest

Hi Jane,
    We're purchasing the Sundance sofa (hopefully soon) and were able to find one within 1.5 hours to sit on. We didn't notice that the back was that sloped, but looking at pictures it definitely is. We're very tall (I'm 5'11" and my husband is 6'7") so perhaps that's why we didn't notice the slope as much. We found the sofa to be very comfortable, and really like the greater depth.

We found the sofa in Northwest Indiana. I don't know if they still have it since it's been a few months since we drove out to see it. I called at least 10 retailers within a 100 mile radius to find the Sundance on the floor....it was lucky because most retailers only carry the promotional frames (at least the ones I called did).

The Sundance is a beautiful sofa, especially for floating in a room. It looks even better in person.

Jane A Guest

Thanks for the feedback! I am trying to find the Sundance so we can "test drive" it, also. I have sat in sofas where the back was angled enough that I felt I was semi reclining, which I did not like. We're not as tall as you, but not short (5'11" and 5'7"), so I'd think the sofa wouldn't be oversize for us. Other than that potential problem, I love the Sundance. It will be in the middle of the room and I think it would look spectacular there. Maybe Duane or someone who actually has the sofa could tell me what degree slope the sofa actually has, if I can't find one locally.

I've been following your thread and learning quite a bit, it's been helpful with our buying process. When you finally do get your furniture I hope you post pictures!

I don't have a Sundance in the store currently, but the front has a gentle curve to it and you tend to 'sit back' into the sofa more than on some others. The back angle is biased towards a recline, but not severely. You can adjust the back cushions about 4 degrees based on where you set the back cushion in the retention velcro. The Sundance is very popular, its been a top seller. I've probably sold 50 since it came out, and have maybe 2 customers that said it was too deep/angled for them, and they were shorter folks. For sure, nothing is better looking from ANY maker than the Sundance from the back.

I think the Austin High Back series is too 'old school' to go with the Sundance. Look at the new Anderson or Angelo series, introduced last market. I think they will work better and are just as comfortable (well, maybe 97 % as comfortable!)

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2149

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2148

I'm sure we can custom build that mechanism into one of those two ottomans, or simply buy your husband an iPad instead of that clunky laptop!
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

I bet you're right about the Sundance's back angle and the height of the people using it. I think we'll probably be fine with the sofa. If we have a chance to sit in one, we'll take it, but if not I'm not going to stress about it.

I completely agree the Austin is too old school! I like your suggestions much better! It's harder to see the details in the photos when the piece is in a dark leather (note to Hancock and Moore), but it looks like the Angelo has more back support than the Anderson? I like the ottomans better, too, so I'll suggest the ipad to the husband.

When we get the pieces figured out, then I can start working on the leather! I have some ideas but I like to be methodical in my approach.

Jane A Guest

We found a Sundance to sit in today! It is a beautiful sofa to float in the middle of a room. I have to say that for straight sitting I found it almost a little too deep, but when I stuffed a throw pillow behind my back it was great. Also, sitting on the middle cushion, where the depth was a bit shorter, was fine. I did not think that the back angle was too steep, my problem was more with it's depth which surprised me! I can tell that it would be great for lounging. My husband, at 4" taller than me, thought it was very comfortable all the way around. I think the Sundance would be best with throw pillows, but I like the way that looks so it would probably be fine.

Duane, can you tell me about the different pillow options on this sofa? The one we sat in had the ultradown pillows and I felt they were a bit soft. I've read through the forums and it lools like the Dupont Quaalex foam core is stiffer. That comes standard, right?

There were a few other H&M models on the floor which we sat on and I particularly liked the Florence. Partly because I thought it looked cool and partly because I liked the tight back. Admittedly, it wouldn't be as comfy for lounging. (I just looked up Florence on the H&M website and don't see the sofa and matching chair. Maybe I got the name wrong.) However, it isn't long enough and my husband likes the Sundance better, so that's the direction we're heading.

As far as chairs, they did have an Austin recliner, which he loved. I pointed out that it just wouldn't look good with the Sundance and fortunately he saw my point. He did like your suggestions of both the Angelo and the Anderson Tilt Back chair. It looked to me like the Angelo had a little more back support? What do you think? Also, you mention that H&M could probably put that tray table (seen in the Austin ottoman #2032SO) in the Angelo or Anderson ottoman. How much do you think that would cost?

I still have to figure out what leather we want, but I think that will be another long post.

Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate the time you take with each of us, I've been learning so much!

Hi Jane,

Glad you were able to find one to try out. It's a handsome piece.

H&M Pillow options are here in the forum:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=pillows

The Ultradown cores are an extra cost option, and the standard Qualux 16 oz seems good for most folks and will be firmer. If you want to firmer still, ask for the 21 oz Qualux which can be done for no extra charge.

It was last May when I sat in both the Angelo and Anderson Tilt Backs at Market and quite frankly I can't recall very much on either as related to a specific firmness, but I do know I though they both sat well.

I'll have to check on the tray table cost when it gets to that point. All depends on how much frame mod they would have to make, if any. The part itself is not very costly.

Glad to assist!
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

Thanks for the link on the pillows, I missed that post. Lots of info there! Can you tell me what "C.O.M. Requirements" means? Those prices (less 50%) are for a pair of pillows?

As far as the cushions go, I think we'd be fine with the 16oz. I don't want to make the seating too firm.

I guess I'll let my husband decide about the chair as he'll be the one using it.