Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Home - need furniture

Default Re: Building Home - need furniture

"COM" stands simply for "Customer's Own Material" when you use something other than their fabrics...that's a yardage requirement.

Correct on the pricing, per pair.

16oz is good for most! 21 oz for those that want extra firm, and 28 oz for the brave that like their sofa to sit like a park bench!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jane A Guest

Thanks for helping clarify the pillow info, and confirming the core choice. I really like the idea of getting some good looking accent pillows.

I've been thinking a lot about leather. I'm loving what I've seen of Kipling Whiskey. When we went to the furniture store we also saw a piece in the Weston Cane Burnished, which I really liked, also. Those are some examples of leathers that appeal to us.

When I talked to the salesman, he said that that with an unprotected leather, even if I was diligent about keeping the piece clean, we would eventually get oil stains, particularly at the head and arms. I hadn't understood this to be true from the discussions here. He said that the burnished pieces would not have that problem, and that they were, by nature, a bit more protected. Can you comment to any of that?

A bit about our household. We do have a dog, who will sometimes take a nap on our current sofa. We also have a cat who fortunately likes to keep his scratching confined to his various scratching posts. We live on 5 acres in the country and there will be times when we sit down in less than immaculate clothing. However, I'd think with regular cleaning none of that is a problem. My biggest concern is that my husband often likes to eat while he watches TV. (Football anyone?) So I'm thinking a protected hide would be best for his chair. But gosh I sure like the unprotected hides best! I really like the idea of getting the sofa and chair in the same leather, but maybe we should consider getting his chair in a protected leather and the sofa in unprotected. I'm going around and around in circles on this! If we were to get different leathers on the two pieces, would it be best to get them to contrast a bit? Like maybe the Aspen Tobacco with the Kipling Whiskey or the Weston Cane Burnished?

Again, thanks for your help. I'm sure grateful for your advice!

HA! I have to disagree with that salesperson...who wants to buy anything that eventually gets stained? There would not be much of a market for anilines if that were the case. Hmmmm...my oldest aniline piece in my house is now 22 years strong, no stains on it. Burnished leathers are simply aniline leathers that have a glaze and sealant over the hide, nothing really earthshaking in the protection category, just decorative. Keeping things cleaned and conditioned is the key.

I bought one piece of leather in Protected for myself, back for my very first recliner in 1986. It was a Hancock and Moore Woodbridge Recliner and I still have it, and it still looks good. Now our home has.....<counting> eleven pieces of leather furniture in it and all are unprotected anilines. We prefer the natural leathers in our home. None the worse for wear and we don't 'baby' our furniture here. My oldest pure aniline is a Bradington Young sofa that was made in 1989, and its still in service, too.

I have four new H&M pieces coming for myself and am retiring some older leather furniture in my library. All the new pieces are coming in burnished leather (unprotected). A pair of Tannery Chairs for my library and a pair of Steele Farm Barstools for the kitchen counter. My favorite thing to do on a Sunday is go out in the garage and work on my motorcycles or cars, then have lunch in the barstools at the kitchen counter. As you can see I'm not real concerned about damaging the leather (coming in Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished). Experience has shown me that "protected" vs. "unprotected" is not really that much of a concern. In all the years of raising a family on our aniline 'unprotected' leathers, we picked up one stain in one seat cushion that stayed with us for about 9 months in the piece, then worked its way out eventually.

YMMV.
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    HA! I have to disagree with that salesperson...who wants to buy anything that eventually gets stained? There would not be much of a market for anilines if that were the case.
    Well, I didn't think you'd agree, but had to ask. He sure made me nervous, though, and I'm glad to hear he was wrong! He did say that if you put talcum powder on a spot and let it set for awhile it would help pull out the stain. Just for future reference, do you think that is true?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Experience has shown me that "protected" vs. "unprotected" is not really that much of a concern. In all the years of raising a family on our aniline 'unprotected' leathers, we picked up one stain in one seat cushion that stayed with us for about 9 months in the piece, then worked its way out eventually.
    YMMV.
    That's really good to know. I'd seen where you mentioned elsewhere that if food was often eaten on the furniture it might be better to go with protected. In fact, though I haven't gotten around to talking about bar stools yet I was under the impression they'd best be protected. We know food will get dropped onto those! If you're going with unprotected that opens up new possibilities!

Thank you!

Jane A Guest

BTW, I love that Steele Farm barstool. That and the Ryder were our two favorites, with the Steele Farm at the top of the list. Our island counter is 9' long. How many barstools would you place there? I keep thinking 4 would be too crowded, but 3 seems a little sparse. Is there a traditional spacing?

Normally I like to leave at least 28" space for each stool (20.75" wide on the Steele) so that means a snug (4) or a very roomy (3). Another way you can figure this is....a man's shoulders (at least mine) are 26" wide. Since I don't want to be rubbing shoulders at the counter, I would like to have 3" space on either side, or 32". That divided by 108" means (3) barstools within the space.
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

I thought 3 would probably be best, also. Thanks for your feedback.

Jane A Guest

I'd love to take advantage of your sale, can even send you a check, but we'll have to decide fast!!

My husband says he'd feel more comfortable with a protected leather on his chair. So do you think the Aspen Tobacco would look nice with the Kipling Whiskey? If we went to a Gr4 for the chair and got the Antelope, which Antelope color might work well with the Whiskey?

The Equestrian might be a possibility for his chair, but I think you've said you wouldn't recommend it for chairs with moving parts because of it's "squeekiness"?

I'll bet you're super busy with your sale! Thanks for your time!

Jane

There is going to be a sheen difference, the Aspen is flatter and not waxy like the Kipling. I think the Tobacco is too brown for the Whiskey, actually. A good color and leather would be Antelope Saddle, it has better hues to work with the Whiskey in my opinion.

Yes, Equestrian squeaks too much in motion furniture - drives me crazy.
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

Okay, I'm PM'ing you for updated prices!