Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Building Home - need furniture

Jane A Guest

Default Re: Building Home - need furniture

Somewhere in cyberspace is my previous reply....let me try again.

Here are pictures, but they show how very changeable the floor color is. The photos run the range from dark in the hallway to quite light in the sun. Does this help at all?

At this point, I'm leaning towards the darker leathers. I like both Garfield Sable and the Aspen Tobacco samples when laid on the floor. The Ryan Chestnut I'm now thinking looks a little too red. I will want a sample of the Antelope Nugget, is there any other dark leather you might recommend?

I'm not sure about the lighter leathers, I thought if I had a couple of samples it would tell me one way or another. I don't want to leave out any possibilities which might look striking.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nov'11 057.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	3179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nov'11 059.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	3180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nov'11 056.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	3181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nov'11 061.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	3182  

MJM_CA Guest

Jane, like you I didn't want a leather that was too red. I went with Columbia Molasses. It's a dark brown full protected leather. It looks black on the H&M website, but is a deep rich brown. Grade 1 pricing is also nicer on the budget. Columbia is the only Grade 1 leathers Duane recommends.

Jane A Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_CA View Post
    Jane, like you I didn't want a leather that was too red. I went with Columbia Molasses. It's a dark brown full protected leather. It looks black on the H&M website, but is a deep rich brown. Grade 1 pricing is also nicer on the budget. Columbia is the only Grade 1 leathers Duane recommends.
    Thank you, I'll look at that one, too! It's nice to get feedback from people who have the leather on an actual piece. Did you post pictures here?

MJM_CA Guest

Yes, I did: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...umbia-Molasses

The pictures were taken from a cell phone so it looks better in person.

Jane A Guest

What a nice sofa! The leather does look good - it even looks like it has slight mottling. Is that from the photo or does it actually appear that way to you?

MJM_CA Guest

Thanks, I'm very pleased with it. It does have slight mottling.

Curve ball coming....

If you have brown floors like that, then I'd NOT do a brown sofa unless it was so dark as to be almost black (Espresso). But, (here comes the pitch)...be careful of too much brown and tan. I'd be thinking handsome mossy greens for my upholstery based on what I see, still earth tones and the like.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sofadoo Guest

+1 on the mossy greens. We have light brown hardwood floors and we recently ordered Pecos Moss for our sectional.

Jane A Guest

Wow, that is a curveball! But I'm intrigued and willing to run with it! Sofadoo, you don't have your sectional yet, do you? I'd love to see a picture.

In certain lights our floor looks a little greenish by itself. I don't really like that effect, and the right green leather would probably make it less apparent. But it has to be the exact right green! Duane, what leathers are you thinking? Document Moss? Weston Moss? Sedona Moss? Pecos Moss? (which doesn't look green to me at all on the H&M website!) Can you give me some advice on what samples to order?

Additionally, the tiles behind the woodburning stove and the kitchen backsplash will be green, a lighter celadon green. I'll need to make sure all the colors in the room mesh. I have to say the darker brown samples we have looked good on the floor, so I don't think that would be a mistake, but something different in green would be very cool.

Jane A Guest

The holidays are almost over and we're moving ahead! Even though our floors are covered to protect them from the drywallers and plasterers, we've been pulling up sections to look at paint, stain and leather samples. I do not think at this point that the green tones will be very complimentary, so we're back to the brown shades.

So now I have a question about the Garfield leathers. We have dealer samples of the Garfield Sable and the Antelope Nugget. It was my impression that the colors were very similar in terms of how dark they appeared. However from looking around on the forums it seems the Garfield Mocha is actually closer in shade to the Nugget? I do understand the Garfield leathers can be quite variable in color, maybe I just got a darker sample of the Sable?

Do the Antelope Nugget and either the Garfield Mocha or Sable compare at all in color?

Another question. The Aspen Tobacco we have is the smaller swatch and is quite pebbly, so it's harder to compare to the larger dealer size samples. However, what we have appears just a bit "grayer" or less warm than the Antelope Nugget. Is that a fair assessment?

Thank you!