Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Building Home - need furniture

Default Re: Building Home - need furniture

Hi Jane,

There's a big difference between Garfield and Antelope. They are two very distinct and different leathers.

Garfield: This is an Italian Aniline with a topcoated surface on it. If very rich - very deep in color. It almost appears translucent in color depth and its one of the most handsome leathers in the line to look at. The topcoat will make it slicker than some others and Garfield varies in dye lots considerably from batch to batch. Price Grade 3

Antelope: A German, fully protected and pigmented leather that is known for low sheen, softness and the very best in category of its kind. It will not have the color depth that Garfield will have but its more supple and softer overall while maintaining a fully protected finish. Price Grade 4

Aspen: The Poor Man's Antelope. Great value in this leather and its my favorite GR2 fully protected leather. Overall, not a pebbly leather - you may have got scrap as a cutting rather than mainstream leather.

Colors: Nugget (Antelope) is very dark. The Garfield Mocha will not be as dark and have much more visual interest and depth, with high low shading. Aspen Tobacco is not as dark as the Nuggett, either.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jane A Guest

I could see there was a big difference between the Antelope and the Garfield. I really like the look of the latter, but want to make sure what we pick is dark enough. I think at this point I'd better order a sample of the Garfield Mocha. I'll PM you.

Sample on the way!
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

Thank you! I am having a hard time making a decision! I love the look of the Garfield, it is so rich in appearance. OTOH, I worry about the reported variability in color, though I know I can get a CFA. Also, I understand some of the thicker leathers don't lay as smoothly on the corners in some pieces, though I'm not sure that would be an issue with the Sundance and the Angelo chair we're looking at.

I also like the Antelope Nugget we have a sample of. It's the color we're looking for, and has the bonus of being a protected leather. We do live on 5 acres and though we try to keep things clean we're more often than not a bit dirty from one activity or another, as opposed to people living in a more urban environment.

Finally, the Aspen Tobacco looks to be a good color, also. And has the advantage of a very attractive price point.

I do have another question. What is the possibility of having the 2009 ottoman made with the same sort of tray system that the Austin ottoman offers? I know H&M is closed this week, but perhaps you could find out for me when they open up their doors again next year. (Ha - that sounds so far off in the future!)

I appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Sample on the way!

Hi Jane,

The Angelo Ottoman is quite a bit smaller than the Austin Storage, so that mechanism wouldn't fit. If we upsized the Angelo in length and width to the Austin size it would work, but might visually overwhelm if used with the Angelo tilt back chair.

Garfield is such a handsome leather I'd not be worried about a minor color variance. If it makes you feel any better, I have (5) swatches of that color I sent you - all sampled at different times and in that colorway the difference in the (5) was nil. The only thing I've noticed with Garfield (like all Italian hides) is the topcoat can vary on them. Some pieces of Garfield have more than others, and its at its best with minimal topcoat in my opinion.
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

Thanks for the info on the ottoman. I am not really interested in upsizing, so we'll just pass on that feature.

I'm looking forward to those samples. Thanks for the feedback on the color variance, I am fairly flexible, but don't want a huge difference from what we expect.

Jane A Guest

I've got all the leather samples now and seem to be suffering from "can't deciditis". It's probably between the Antelope Nugget and the Garfield Mocha. Or maybe the Aspen Tobacco.

So while we're thinking about it, I want to move on to the nail trim and a special leather on the ottoman. I like the way the nail trim is laid out on the Sundance. We want to put a matching nail trim on the Angelo chair and ottoman. (2009, 2010) I was thinking that we'd put it along the bottom and up the sides like it is done on the Sundance. The Sundance also has the trim going along the top under the seam, I'm not sure what the Angelo looks like from behind, but I'm thinking we could duplicate that nail trim look on the chair. Duane, do you have an opinion on whether the bronze or silver would look better with the dark leather? That buffalo nailhead trim is very cool... but it might be too much on a big 110" Sundance sofa. I also like the UU or RR trim.

Also, I'd like to put the Laredo Whiskey embossed leather on the bottom of the ottoman. Would that make the piece a Gr 5? Hopefully, since it's smaller it wouldn't up the price too much. How do you think that leather would look with one of the leathers I've mentioned above?

Thank you, I can't wait to get my order in and get on with my life.

OK!

Antelope : Super fine protected leather (painted). From Germany. Very soft, looks and feels like aniline. GR 4
    Garfield: Very rich and deep in color, you can see 'layers' of color in the hide. Great hand, can be a little shiny sometimes. GR 3
    Aspen: Poor Man's Antelope we like to call it. Almost like its more costly cousin at a GR 2 price.

The Sundance simply has spaced 1" trim on the base, we can do that on most any H&M piece at no extra cost. And we can generally apply the nail trim to anywhere you like on the piece. Just draw it out!. I personally like brass-colored nails on browns, and use the nickel colors on blacks and blues. The trick with the Buffalo Nickel is to space it and use it laid over gimp. (in for a penny, in for a pound).

If we do an ottoman with the lower part in a GR 5 and the top in a GR 3 for example, it usually then becomes split and a GR 4. If you do that on the ottoman base, it will look out of place unless you bring it onto the chair as well.

P.S. You first choice is usually your best choice!
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

I know you've said the first choice is usually what people end up with. Sort of like a first guess in a multiple choice quiz! To add to the mix I've been looking at pictures of pieces in Kipling Java and liking that one, too. Kipling Whiskey was my first choice, but it does not go with our floor.

I don't really want to put the Laredo Whiskey on the chair, but I've seen some fun things you've done with ottomans and was hoping to do something different with ours. Maybe I'll play with the nailhead trims, instead. Do you think doing gimp and the buffalo nickel on all three pieces would be too much? What color leather would you use for the gimp?

Hi Jane,

I've lost track of the frames....tell me what the final choices are again and the leathers you want to use!
    Duane Collie