Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Truth Behind Amish Furniture

Default The Truth Behind Amish Furniture

It never ceases to amaze me how much 'buzz' the term "Made by the Amish" generates among consumers looking for quality, durable goods. Perhaps because we all remember the movie "Witness", with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis!

Amish-made furniture products are decent enough for the most part, but they are not 'hand-made' in the true sense, and certainly not done in the manner of a master craftsman. Amish woodworking shops are the same as most any other woodworking shop in the USA except they are not tied to the electrical grid (forbidden by their culture). Instead, they usually have one of two huge Caterpillar diesel engines out back roaring at full speed to supply power to their shop, and many of the modern tools they use are hydraulic rather than electric. Other than that, the approach to furniture-making is largely the same as any other shop. With those huge diesels out back running full steam and belching out black smoke, they're not very 'green' shops if that matters to anyone.

Amish culture forbids driving for example, so you'll never see anyone Amish behind the wheel of a car or truck. However, they don't all go to work in a horse drawn buggy. Typically they will purchase and own a truck and then hire someone non-Amish to drive it to the work destination, and they ride in the back! Look in any paper in an Amish community and you will see ads for drivers all the time.

I have one Amish-made line in my store, and its actually the lowest end line I carry (Canal Dover brand). Its nothing exceptional, but its sturdy, well-constructed, and made of quality materials to a price point. It is definitely not heirloom quality, however - nor is it meant to be. So if you're shopping furniture, my advice is to not pay attention to the phrase 'Made by the Amish" because it adds nothing to the item. I know of no Amish woodworkers that I would consider Master Cabinentmakers though there is a Mennonite shop outside Chambersburg PA that comes pretty close to doing high-grade work.

Buy 'Amish-made' furniture as you would any other piece, on its own merits as furniture and don't get caught up in the "quaintness" of the marketing.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Martha Guest

Duane
    Your Amish furniture comment is interesting. I am looking at many upholstery lines, and one of them is Smith Brothers (of Berne?) supposedly Amish based. Do you have any knowledge about the quality of this brand?
    Thanks, Martha

Martha Guest

Well Duane, I know it is hard to believe, but I actually had not read the post about the Smith Bros sofa problem, "new furniture not right needs fixed," before I asked about Smith Bros. I would still like your opinion if you have one.

Afraid I don't know much about Smith Bros from Berne, but reading through the web site it looks like they are using good components and have a strong warranty.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    Well Duane, I know it is hard to believe, but I actually had not read the post about the Smith Bros sofa problem, "new furniture not right needs fixed," before I asked about Smith Bros. I would still like your opinion if you have one.
    I believe you might be talking about a thread I started in the problem solver area. I just posted an update over there stating that I am satisfired now with both the product and the store I bought it from.

As to the "amish" connection I have seen the company associated with the word Amish but that was never mentioned to me when I was being sold my furniutre. I did a quick google search and this page http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F88ME.html has this to say " A cluster of furniture companies has arisen in the Swiss Amish Mennonite community of Berne, Ind. They include Dunbar (founded in 1919 by Homer Niederhauser and Aloysius Dunbar), Berne Furniture (founded in 1925 by L. Lawrence Yager) and Smith Brothers of Berne (founded in 1926 by Homer Niederhauser). Berne Furniture and Smith Brothers both manufacture upholstered furniture; Dunbar produces bedroom, dining room, and office furniture."

Any question you may have about it feel free to pm me or post a message.

commafactory Guest

Default simplyamish?

We fell in love with a Simplyamish entertainment center in their Aspen line. The lowest price we can find (in soft maple, the hard maple is $700 more) is $4072.

A few questions:
    What do you think of this brand? Is that what something like that will cost (it's about 9 feet wide and 6 feet tall and looks as if it were made by a craftsman).

Could we find a local (SW Va, near Roanoke) craftsperson to make something like that for a comparable price?

Is there a big difference between the soft and hard maple?

Also, while I'm asking questions. We went down to Greenfront (big disappointment) and saw a Mission sleigh bed we liked made by Tradewinds. It's from China and I've read that Chinese wood doesn't do well here. Is that true? The bed we liked, which has inlaid pegs and an interesting V design down the middle, costs $799.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by commafactory View Post
    We fell in love with a Simplyamish entertainment center in their Aspen line. The lowest price we can find (in soft maple, the hard maple is $700 more) is $4072.

A few questions:
    What do you think of this brand? Is that what something like that will cost (it's about 9 feet wide and 6 feet tall and looks as if it were made by a craftsman).

Yes, that's a HUGE piece of furniture at 9' x 6'.

Could we find a local (SW Va, near Roanoke) craftsperson to make something like that for a comparable price?

Not a chance. To scratch build something like that would be 2x the price.

Is there a big difference between the soft and hard maple?

For purposes of an entertainment center, none. Hard maple is appx. 25% more dense, and more rigid, but that's not going to matter at all for this application. There are some raw wood color variances but once again thats not really a factor as either piece will be stained. Buy it in soft maple!

Also, while I'm asking questions. We went down to Greenfront (big disappointment) and saw a Mission sleigh bed we liked made by Tradewinds. It's from China and I've read that Chinese wood doesn't do well here. Is that true? The bed we liked, which has inlaid pegs and an interesting V design down the middle, costs $799.

I've never seen anything made in China that has any kind of durability. A blanket statement for sure, but I haven't been proven wrong yet! But a sleigh bed at $ 800 is dirt cheap. A real sleigh bed that is artisan made and done using proper materials and construction will be nearly 10x that price. If you like the bed and the price, go for it, just don't expect it to become a family heirloom to be passed down.

Thanks!
    Glad to help!
    Duane Collie

commafactory Guest

Default final question!

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

Are you familiar with the Simplyamish line? What do you think of their quality?
    http://simplyamish.dirxion.com/WebPr...imply%20Amish#

Can you suggest some other brands that have similar units in style and workmanship?

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by commafactory View Post
    Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

Are you familiar with the Simplyamish line? What do you think of their quality?
    http://simplyamish.dirxion.com/WebPr...imply%20Amish#

Can you suggest some other brands that have similar units in style and workmanship?

thanks again!
    Just looking at the pieces they have I'd say it appears to be pretty mainstream factory-made furniture. Without seeing it up close and personal its difficult to render an opinion beyond that.
    Duane Collie

southbayed Guest

Default Re: The Truth Behind Amish Furniture

I'm actually very familiar with Simply Amish. Find a dealer with a fair price on the line and there are enough options that you should be able to fall in love with something. They carry just about every category that you can think of. Lots of wood species to choose from, many finishes and hardware options are available and custom capabilities.