Thread: Is this even possible?

sleepydoc Guest

Default Is this even possible?

We have been looking for such a long time to find a family room sofa that equates to the quality of our 22 year old Thomasville sofas that are finally giving up the ghost (fabric, not frames!)....we finally found it in the H & M Evening sofa. Although we've been happy with our H & M leather chairs, we have been concerned about the wear on the arms and piping...and they are only about 8 years old and not used nearly as frequently. We'd like to do the Evening sofa in fabirc, but the choices we have seen leave a lot to be desired. We have fallen in love (!) with a fabric from another furniture company...is it possible to purchase fabric elsewhere and have H & M upholster with it?

Default Re: Is this even possible?

Sure! That's called C.O.M. (Customer's Own Material) and virtually every maker offers that. The furniture will be priced as if covered in an entry grade fabric, the dealer will give you a yardage requirement (be sure to have the vertical repeat measurement to compute yardage), then you buy your material and take it to the dealer. Be aware that not ever dealer allows you to do this, as they don't make much of a profit on COM's. Some will, some won't. The H&M # 1667 Evening sofa requires 26.5 yards of material (plain) to upholster. At $ 40 a yard for inexpensive material, that's over $ 1,000. Its not a cost savings move to go COM, its to get something special the maker doesn't offer. Because you are paying to already have your sofa made in an entry level fabric and then have to add (and ship) your own fabric to the overall cost. When you are all done, it will cost as much as a leather # 1667.

Buy a little more material if you go this route and have an extra pair of armcaps made for the sofa (they will come with one pair).

Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sleepydoc Guest

Thanks! We made another trip back to the furniture store today (along with the majority of the population of Central Massachusetts it seemed!) to try out the City sofa again, as I read so many posts about how comfortable it is. Long story short, looks like the 93" is in our future, rather than the Evening. Made another attempt at the fabrics, including the Jessica Charles line...still nothing. Who chooses those fabrics, and does anyone actually purchase them?? I read on another of your posts that Taylor King has great fabric selection, and is a bit related to H&M. Is it possible to use their fabric without moving into the C.O.M. territory? We had really wanted to use fabric on the sofa, and leather on the 2 Stickley Morris chairs that are going with it...but at this rate, we may have to do some rethinking!

I agree that the choices in H&M and JC are weak.

Taylor King is a standalone company and they do not interchange covers, so that would be a full COM to use them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.