Thread: H&M Settlement Sofa and Chair/Ottoman

atlgirl Guest

Default H&M Settlement Sofa and Chair/Ottoman

Thinking of purchasing the Settlement Sofa along with chair and ottoman. I just want something casual/comfy for our keeping room off of the kitchen. It will be used by adults, teenagers, toddlers and dogs (not to my liking), to relax on.

Any thoughts from people who have purchased this or have seen in person would be appreciated.

Thank you

Gail

Default Re: H&M Settlement Sofa and Chair/Ottoman

Big n' Deep - the Settlement series. Not the best 'sit-up' sofas but really good for couch-potato lounging and napping. Probably the best in the line for the latter. These are deep pieces, so watch your overall depth measurements for your room. The sofa comes with (4) leather pillows and the loveseat with (2), I believe. Folks that buy this series tell me they're really happy with it and I never get anyone with regrets post-sale that buy these.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bubbaonline Guest

Do you ever have anyone do the Settlement in upholstery? We've been looking for a big, deep lounging sofa, and they are hard to find (does Taylor King have anything like that?). We currently have a worn out Henredon Fireside sofa that we absolutely love... Very deep.. I'm 6' and have to have a pillow behind my back to sit normally..

Thinking of a Settlement in upholstery, and a Judy lounger in the Weston Cane Burnished that's in the T&C program.. our local retailer has that on the floor... It's gorgeous, not too big and very comfortable.. I think the style would mesh well with the Settlement. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

I've never personally sold a Settlement series in fabric, but I'm sure H&M has. I have to say, I'm very much sold on leather because of the longevity of it. An average fabric sofa will last 7 to 10 years under hard, family use, the leather will go 4x longer. On that 4192 Settlement, it takes 24 yards of plain fabric (no repeats) to cover. Assuming you do a plain fabric that's fairly simple most material is around $ 35 a year for decent, and $ 60 a year for better material. That means to recover you will spend between $ 840 and $ 1,440 on material and about $ 700 in labor for a sofa that size. So to reupholster in 7 to 8 years its going to cost you between $ 1,500 and $ 2,200. Meanwhile, the leather sofa just keeps right on going....in my house we have all-leather in high use rooms (media room, family room, my library) and all fabric in lightly used rooms (bedrooms, living room, dining room) for that reason. On a GR 1 leather vs a Grade C Fabric the cost difference at purchase is about $ 1,500. So clearly the leather wins on cost of ownership over the projected lifespan of the piece.

I'm more inclined to use the Journey Lounger with the Settlement than the Judy.....

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1212
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.