Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chair recommendation for petite woman

TLoomis Guest

Default Chair recommendation for petite woman

Hi Duane,

This is my first post, but I've spent quite a bit of time reading on your forum (that was over a year ago though). What a great learning experience you provide! Thank you for all of the great information and for all of the time you put into providing us with great pictures!

I'm ready to buy a high quality comfortable chair to fit my 5'2" frame, and I remembered you recommended one for another member's petite wife, so I came back here to find it. Well, it turns out it's a Leathercraft 297-07. Unfortunately, I then found the posts where Amazon is selling Leathercraft, and you decided to drop them. I understand, but was disappointed, as I just decided I could take the plunge and order this chair without ever sitting in it.

So I guess my question is, did you indeed drop the entire line, and if so, do you have another chair you highly recommend for a petite woman? Or is this really the most comfortable chair for my frame, so much so that you would suggest I try and find the 297-07 elsewhere?

I'm open to a recliner, or a stationary chair with a footstool. I did have a chance to sit in a H&M Luxe chair, and while it was a huge chair, I loved the way it sat!

Thanks again for all of your help.

Tami

Default Re: Chair recommendation for petite woman

Hi Tami,

I did drop Leathercraft because of their marketing policies, but I can still get a piece (though I do not have leather samples any more). 297-07 is a great recliner for petite ladies. Neither Bradington Young or Hancock and Moore really addresses that market in motion chairs.

In stationary chairs, or swivel / swivel rockers, look at Jessica Charles. They have quite a few. What you want to zero in on is seat height and seat depth. Ideally 18 to 18.5" Seat height, and 19" seat depth for you would be about perfect from most any maker. H&M will have a few in that spec category as well. Browse the websites and see what you can come up with is the best way to go....

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-26-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

TLoomis Guest

Hi Duane,

That did help! I've found the following chairs that are pretty close to the dimensions you gave me (I decided not to go with a recliner):

#1605G Truman Glider (H&M)
    #1898 Member Chair (H&M)
    #155-S Copley (JC)
    #403-SR Lancaster (JC)

I think I like the Truman Glider the best, but, my question is - could I order it without the glider? I do want it to swivel. I'm not so sure I would like a glider - do you have any opinions on them?

If anyone has any experience with any of these chairs, I'd love to hear your opinions!

Thanks so much,

Tami

I'm sure we can lock-out the glider mechanism on that Truman chair, usually its a matter of just running a screw through the holes in the mechanism and locking it up that way. I actually like the glider part, but that's just me. It only goes into glide mode if you push back and forth with your feet! If you decide to go forward on this chair, we should also see if they can take 1/2 to 3/4" of foam out of the seat cushion and get it just a little lower than that 20" seat height for you.
    Duane Collie

TLoomis Guest

That sounds great - then I could try the glider, I might like it too. I just know I don't want a chair that is in constant motion.

I'm going to start looking at leathers now! I'll have to PM you for a price, and I'll most likely call you soon to ask more questions. Thanks for your quick response. That's great we can ask for a bit less cushion too!

What I have found over the years is that everyone that says they don't want a glider, turns out to really like them! I think the time I've sold glider/rockers with a swivel base I've only ever had one person ask to lock it up after they took delivery...but I've had dozens that have asked if we could make their swivel-only chair into a glider!
    Duane Collie

TLoomis Guest

Hi Duane,

Will there be a new T&C program for 2013? I'm considering ordering a recliner or a tilt back chair for my husband at the same time I order the Truman. I'm not sure I'll be able to convince him to order a chair without sitting in it first, but I'm going to try! That way I'll save on shipping, and if we find something in the T&C program, that will help the budget too. I'm looking at the Austin, not for style, but because of the 'tried and true' comfort factor. There was a time I would never consider that style of chair, but, I want to ensure it's going to be comfy. Plus, for that style of chair, it doesn't look too bad!

Do you have any other recommendations for a chair that will look good sitting fairly close to the Truman? And that you know to be comfy? I like the Roy lounger too, any idea if it is super comfy like the Austin? My husband is 5'11"' 215 lbs., with broad shoulders.

I know it's hard to answer comfort questions, but any input you have will be helpful!

Thanks again!

Tami

Hi Tami,

Most the time the Town and Country program is 're-set' in June, they add and drop items, and sometimes change prices.

I'm the same build as your husband (but 15 lbs heavier). My recliner at home is a H&M 1044 Sadler, and I've sat in them all. If chair and ottoman, then my top pick for comfort is unquestionably the 2038 Austin High Back Tilt Chair and matching 8131 ottoman. That combo blows away ANY recliner but it does take up more room and overall cost is higher due to the ottoman.

The Roy is decent, but truthfully he may feel slightly cramped in it. It would be OK, but not his first choice.
    Duane Collie

TLoomis Guest

Hi Duane,

So, if I want to stay within the T&C program, are my only leather choices on the Austin either Document or Cavalier? And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I can pick another color within those two groups, but there will be a price increase?

Thanks!

For details on T&C, go to LEATHER here on the forum and click on 2012 Town & Country Program. its all explained there.
    Duane Collie