Thread: H & M, BY Varitilt/tilt back/recliner questions plus cocktail ottoman - help! :)

STexas Guest

Default H & M, BY Varitilt/tilt back/recliner questions plus cocktail ottoman - help! :)

Hi, I'm in the market for a tilt back style leather chair for our family room. My husband is 6'2" and I'm 5'10". Duane, I know the H & M Austin HB tilt back would be a perfect size, but the style is a little too "poofy" for our main family room. With the layout of our room, we'd love a tilt back with ottoman. I think the recliner alone does not work out well with space planning.

I've attached pics...we'll be putting the new chair at an angle facing the TV (which is just across from the loveseat). We're moving the two smaller chairs to our home office. This is an open concept style room...the sofas can look at an angle directly into the kitchen, and a 2 way fireplace separates the breakfast room from the family room.

So...a couple of questions...
    1. What tilt back style would work (other than H & M Austin High Back) for our tall selves? We saw that BY has a 1621 Tabor Varitilt, but no one near us has that chair. We did sit in the BY 3001 Bancroft recliner which was comfy. Open to any suggestions

2. Opinions on doing a recliner with ottoman for visual aesthetics?

3. We also want to do a large ottoman in place of the coffee table - needs to be at least 55" long. What would look good here?

3. Any other opinions on what would work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	George family room 3.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	3188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	George family room 2.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	3187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	George family room 1.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	3186  

Default Re: H & M, BY Varitilt/tilt back/recliner questions plus cocktail ottoman - help! :)

I think that H&M has three styles that might work for you. Take a look at these:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2148
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2149
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2065 <probably the best with your decor

Don't do a recliner with the ottoman, you won't like it and will soon move the ottoman off to a forgotten corner somewhere.

Large Ottomans? Here's some to consider (yes, the first one is quite funky, but its very cool in a room):

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1537
    http://www.jessicacharles.com/product.asp?productid=599
    http://www.taylorking.com/details.ph...rotype=OTTOMAN <possibly with a leg swap
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

STexas Guest

Default Re: H & M, BY Varitilt/tilt back/recliner questions plus cocktail ottoman - help! :)

Duane,
    Thanks so much for your feedback.

On the tilt backs, I agree with you about the Arrington model. I have concern about it being high enough for my husband at 38.5". He is 6'2", and we sat in the Anderson at a local store (39" high), and it was not tall enough for him to rest his head back. The Angelo might work - can that be jazzed up with nail heads or something to make it look more interesting? Or is it just a matter of picking the right leather?

What's your opinion on the Bradington & Young 1621 Tabor Varitilt? We liked the way the 3001 Bancroft Recliner sat and wondered if the Tabor (at 41.75" high) would sit similarly.

On the ottomans, I LOVE the funky Carrington one you mention first! On H & M's website, it says that the "gimp" is optional. What is the "gimp"? Is that the western tooling?

Last, we live in Texas....generally, does it make sense cost-wise to order from you? I'd love to do business with you if shipping isn't super high.

Thank you again for your expertise!!

At 38" high, it might be borderline. He may not be able to rest his head on the back when the chair is upright, but did he try it when its tilted back some? Usually when a chair is put in tilt mode, it slouches the body down a little bit and it might be enough. But if he didn't like the way it sat no sense in pursuing that model of course.

Yes, you can add nails or any other custom option to the Angelo series.

If you are looking at the BY 1621, you may as well go back to the 2038 NB Austin High Back from H&M. That's the undisputed King of the tilt backs from any maker, bar none. That chair has been knocked off so many times by every maker (the BY 1621 is a knock off) but the other guys never get it done as good.

Gimp is a bizzare name for 'border', Its a strip of leather placed at the bottom of a piece (sometimes around the arm or backs). Where that name came from I couldn't tell you. Every time I hear it I think of the guy covered in leather in the basement of the Pawn Shop "The Gimp" in "Pulp Fiction".

I ship a lot of product to Texas, probably have 300 customers or more in the state. Most tell me that even with shipping I handily beat the local dealers prices, and I'm smarter on the product line, too!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.