Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duane, Have you used the Honda?

Default Duane, Have you used the Honda?

Hey Duane, Just checking to see if you had a chance to put the Honda to use yet? Want your thoughts compaired to your old machine. Hope all is well, Mike

Default Re: Duane, Have you used the Honda?

Hi Mike,

Well of COURSE the sure way to keep any snow from falling in Northern Virginia is to get a huge Honda snow blower!! Not a flake on the ground (expect one day's dusting) since I got that from you. I'm tempted to load it in the truck and drive up into Pennsylvania just so I can do some driveways! I did put a light kit on it in anticipation of use in the evening hours. Its looks terrific though.

I did have a major fight with the tires on it. Went to prep it for this winter in case it snows and the air pressure was down on both of them which began a journey that I finally fixed just yesterday. Those split rim wheels on those machines are just nuts. Sometimes I just don't get Honda products. They can make what is arguably the finest machine in its class, then they do something idiotic like use cheap tires and split rim wheels to save a few dollars. The tires they put on those are so cheap they don't have a bead seal, so there is a gasket the drops in to seal the edges, but when the tires are under-inflated, the tire won't re-conform and seat the bead. End result is the tire has to be replaced. Honda gets an insane amount of money for replacement tires on it and you have to buy new gaskets, too. Instead I went with a Carlise replacement tire and simply ran a tube in it to get around the sealing issues. My first tire change ever with split bolt-together wheels - it was interesting! But I know how to do it, now...
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane, Thats funny. I have had at least 20 of the Honda's and never had one problem with the tires. I know that they are very bouncy and only require 8lbs of pressure which seems low but for some reason they have always worked for me. What size tire and tube did you go with incase I ever need to replace tires? We have had no blowable snow yet either. Its coming.

I got a set of tires from this guy, whose blog I found on the 'net. He's up in your part of the country....

http://kenjonestiresblog.com/blog/ho...ires-14x400x6/

My own fault for not keeping the tires aired up!
    Duane Collie

levitt11 Guest

You may keep the snow in NVA, thank you very much <angry face>, we would like to have a snow free winter here after last year's winter. Our snow blower got a real work out - and we are looking at not doing it again this year !!!

its coming.

levitt11 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KNEEBITER View Post
    its coming.

Bite your tongue

Even in northwest Pennsylvania I have only had the Toro out twice this winter though tomorrow it looks like it will be put to good use with the snow falling right now but it's been a very mild winter so far. Last week I decided to get a new plug and fuel filter for a tune up and noticed the paddle blades (single cycle) and scraper bar were worn down enough to warrant replacement also. Kind of caught me by surprise since I had a service center replace those parts a year or two ago and usually I get 3-4 years use before needing to replace. This time decided to do it myself and good thing I did, found out the place I took it to put one of the two blades on incorrectly and certain parts needed for the install were missing. Thankfully Toro had them in stock and even their standard shipping takes 2-3 days for me so got them yesterday and completed the replacement just in time for this snow. My advice to anyone is other than finding a good dealer/service center is always check over your outdoor power equipment before running it for the season to make sure everything is OK. I know some brands it's easy to find a part/service manual online to download and use as a guide.

Looking forward to hearing how the big Honda does clearing that long drive Duane has.

Hasn't snowed yet...won't break my heart if it stays in the garage all winter and doesn't have to come out. The older I get, the less I like the cold!

That's exactly why I prefer to wrench my own gear. So many 'mechanics' make mistakes and rush through a job that I like to take my time and do things myself to ensure they are done right. That also justifies my Snap-On toolbox and all the metal jewelry I have inside it.
    Duane Collie

Duane, I can't believe it's been so long since this thread. Seriously feels like yesterday. I hope all is well with you and you made it through this new crazy world we are now living in. I always think of popping on the forum and always get busy. Finally made it back.