Thread: Pregnant, looking for a glider/recliner

ej745 Guest

Default Pregnant, looking for a glider/recliner

Hi Duane and the rest of the community -

Thanks to all of you (and esp Duane) for the fantastic education! I have been lurking for the past day or so, voraciously eating up everything I can on recliners.

Just recently entered the market for a glider/recliner...I am pregnant and the seatback on my current sofa is way too short for me to sit comfortably given my morning sickness! I also heard that gliders are good for feeding/putting to sleep the baby.

Duane, is buying an H&M for feeding purposes ridiculous? I started at the VERY low end of the market ($200 purpose-built Storkcraft) and have steadily climbed the price tiers as I seek return for my investment (warranties, etc), even going beyond what is financially comfortable for me, prodded by your passionate arguments for H&M.

I hear you on H&M quality, but I fear that the styles are not very conducive to my immediate needs - in particular, heavily padded armrests to help me support the baby and wider seat so that the little ones might squeeze in with me later on down the road. I know you don't reco recliners per se and prefer the Austin Tilt Back with Ottoman, but for me glider mechanism is important. I also saw your recos for petite Leathercraft (I am 5'3") but again, I seek a wider chair.

Any advice on models (H&M, BY, other) I should consider? Or should I just buy a crappy throwaway piece to get me by (I'm hoping for #2 in a couple years) and then re-enter the higher-end market afterward?

Any women out there have ideas? Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts.
    Eileen

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Pregnant, looking for a glider/recliner

Well, not a woman but I have a Dautalier glider that is very well constructed. It has a high back and padded arms. I looked at several gliders and many (most?) are throw-away furniture, I assume because many don't get used after the infant/nursing stage. My parents had a particularly abysmal one that seemed like something an alien, non-bipedal life form had build based on pictures of chairs. Surely no human designer ever actually sat in the thing. I finally decided I was going to just find a decent, well-made one regardless of cost. My satisfaction with it eventually led me to this forum to find some decent, well-made furniture for my own living room.

Actually I think I have a pic somewhere, but it is somewhat obscured. It's clearly not H&M level tailoring or cushions (or price!), but it is very well built and still looks and feels new 4 years later. It is comfortable enough to be one of the preferred chairs in that house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swivel Glider.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	3256  

Hi Eileen,

You may have found a topic outside my area of expertise, as I have never been pregnant or had to nurse an infant! I have cleaned a few poopy diapers, however..... funny you mention this as last Saturday a lady customer was in my store and sat in an H&M Austin High Back Tilt Chair and remarked "Where was this chair when I was up late at night with my babies!" (Her kids are now all in college). But that chair doesn't glide, so we'd have to look at something else. Definitely stay away from recliners, the mechanisms are not infant / toddler friendly.

Go take a look at Jessica Charles, these guys (its a Hancock and Moore company) are the King of Swivel Gliders. Nearly 100 styles. I'd pick something with a low arm, because that lets you relax your arms when holding a baby rather than getting a high arm that holds you in tightly. I know my wife would fall asleep in the chair nursing our kids at 3 a.m in the morning so comfort is key. Perhaps one like this? Most JC chairs will run under $ 1K in a decent fabric and they are made to last.

http://www.jessicacharles.com/product.asp?productid=642

Good luck and Congratulations!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ej745 Guest

Thanks to both of you for your prompt responses! Truly appreciate it.

Was glad to see "Dutailier is comfortable enough to be one of the preferred chairs in the house" because I was wondering what would happen to a nursing-specific glider once the feeding was done - I thought it would automatically be relegated to a garage sale or freecycling.

Re: Jessica Charles, thanks so much for the suggestion, Duane! That's exactly what I was looking for - a reputable company that I could order from with confidence. I'll take a look at their offerings.

Happy holidays to you both and thanks again,
    Eileen