Thread: Overwhelmed Newbie looking for New Sofa and Recliner!

DougM Guest

Default Overwhelmed Newbie looking for New Sofa and Recliner!

I initially sent this as a PM before reading your post for first-time users... sorry Duane!

I've come across your forum on the internet this evening, after looking and attempting to research planned sofa and recliner purchases for my wife and me.

After visiting a couple of local furniture retailers here in St. Louis, MO in the past few days, I have to admit that I'm overwhelmed at trying to narrow the focus of our search. We've gone all the way from looking at La-z-Boy, to Lane, to Flexsteel, to Best Home Furnishings, and are now considering Bradington-Young, Elite... my wife wants a sofa that is either transition/casual/contemporary in style, with a relatively narrow sitting depth from front to back... any suggestions for her to start with?

On the recliner side (my purchase!), I've looked/sat in recliners by Lane, Catnapper, Best... I've also seen Southern Motion and B-Y models on the internet this evening. Any suggestions for recliners, or brands that I should stay away from?

I'm at least convinced from both a quality (and U.S. citizen standpoint) that we need to buy American if at all possible.

Any suggestions that you have for us in trying to continue with our research/purchasing process?

Thanks for your time, and any help that you can offer to us!

Best regards,
    Doug

Default Re: Overwhelmed Newbie looking for New Sofa and Recliner!

Hi Doug,

It's difficult to recommend a brand per se, as makers are always changing the way they build things. What was solid and well made three years ago may not be today - and quite honestly the only way to tell is to get into their factories and see how they are constructed. The very best way is to learn what makes a good piece, then investigate and see how well a product measures up to the standards. Much has been written here on what makes a quality build.

In my store, I only handle better made products, all done in the USA. That puts me at higher price points than other stores but that's what I like to sell...mainly because I don't want those phone calls three to five years down the road when the piece fell apart! I'm a believer that you pretty much get what you pay for in most things, but of course the trick is to not overpay for an item.

Hancock and Moore is the gold standard in the industry, as are their affiliated companies (Jessica Charles, Councill, Taylor King). If there's a better made product out there - I don't know what might be. Part of that reason is they are not publicly-owned and the gentlemen that do own those companies insist on the highest quality standards - there are no stockholders to have to satisfy. You will pay more for these pieces but you get more, too - especially in the longevity department.

Bradington Young is a division of Hooker Corp., and they build a solid, nicely done recliner at a level down from H&M, and on average about 20 to 25% less in cost.

La-Z-Boy, Lane - not so good. Built in China Flexsteel is just so-so, some made in the USA, some in China.

Trust your eyes when you shop. You can tell a quality piece from ten feet away once you get an idea what to look for. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

DougM Guest

Thanks very much for taking the time to send us your thoughts and suggestions, Duane!

My wife and I spent most of our day off today learning, sitting, and talking about various sofas/recliners around St. Louis. It's an ongoing process for us, but the weather today made it most enjoyable for both of us!

Thanks again for your time, and for creating this forum!
    Doug

wintersummer Guest

DougM - I was also looking for a transitional type sofa with a narrow sitting depth. I did a lot of internet research first and really didn't spend much time sitting in a lot of products - decided pretty quickly on Hancock and Moore. We were fortunate enough to visit the factory in Hickory and that visit sold us on the product! (just a side note - we haven't purchased yet, but are waiting on a number of other decisions, like carpet, to make final purchases). I narrowed my sofa search down to the Metro and Lena, both which work for me and my husband (I'm 5'3", he's 6'2"). We're also planning on the York, while is not narrow at all, but hoping to use that in the den. I don't plan to sit on that sofa - I plan to recline on that one!