Thread: Always check for Damages BEFORE you sign the paperwork

Default Always check for Damages BEFORE you sign the paperwork

Any time you have something delivered, check for damages BEFORE you sign the paperwork. This applies to furniture, or anything else that has been shipped to you. Every truck driver on the planet will hand you a slip of paper to sign or an electronic board and when you do sign it, you are acknowledging receipt in good condition.

Once the guy has left, then most people start inspecting. Guess what - its too late now. Your chance of successfully pursuing a damage claim just got cut in half. All damages are the responsibility of the shipper - not the merchant. Read that line again! But I can tell you from years of experience, the merchant is the one who gets the damaged goods phone call and the customer signed the delivery receipt free and clear nine times out of ten.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

meferro815 Guest

Default Re: Always check for Damages BEFORE you sign the paperwork

Thank you for that info. I usually feel as though I am holding up the driver, but I will go over my delivery with a fine tooth comb. If I do not sign what is the next step? What should I do, I paid for furniture?

Most drivers want to get gone as quickly as possible, but you have a RIGHT to look over your pieces regardless of what they may tell you - use that right. Its your purchase, and you are paying for the delivery, so don't feel rushed. Its MUCH-MUCH harder to pursue a damage claim once you've signed it free and clear and the driver has left. If there is damage but not so severe that you want to return the item, but you want to preserve your rights to a claim - note the damage on the bill of lading and show the it to the driver. (example : Color rubbed off on leather welt trim). You do not have to pay the bill if you are refusing the entire order, but you must pay it if accepting any portion of the order. If you refuse to sign the bill of lading, your delivery will go back and possible re-delivery charges will apply.

Many drivers will make up rules such as "You can't keep it unless you sign for it fully free and clear, damage free" or "Don't worry about it - You can always call in any damages later on". Those are both false. With any delivery follow this procedure:

* INSPECT
    * REFUSE if BROKEN or HEAVILY DAMAGED
    * NOTE DAMAGES ON THE BILL OF LADING WHEN YOU SIGN if you intend to keep the product
    * CALL THE SHIPPER to begin a claim, not the merchant
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

meferro815 Guest

Thank you. I have just finished reading your thread on different wood, amazing. I sure hope that choosing distressed mahogany for my September sofa was a good choice.

Do you manufacture furniture, I have a huge Oak tree that would probably make some awesome furniture. (just thought I'd throw that out there!)