Thread: Anyone here heard of Thomas Alexander Lether Furniture by Regency House?

yogibear Guest

Question Anyone here heard of Thomas Alexander Lether Furniture by Regency House?

My Wife is bugging me to get a new leather sofa. The one we have was a cheap purchase made 15 years ago . We are getting a new one but looking at a Sectional she picked out which is a closeout model . Its made by Thomas Alexander of Hickory, NC . From what I can tell by searching the Internet the Thomas Alexander Leather line is under Regency House ,Inc Leather.
    Does anyone have any review on this product or this line? I have never heard of it. Are they still in business? I see a web site up but the phone lines don't seem to work. The sectional appears to be of mid level grade maybe which looks very much like the Classic Leather Portsmouth line. Except the sewn in labels say Thomas Alexander Fine Leather Furniture, Hickory, NC. My choice was to save a few dollars more and get a Distinction Sofa or some thing that after the 10 year mark maybe all I would have to do is get cushions remade. But my wife is anxiously awaiting your replies. Thank You in advance a newbie.
    Last edited by yogibear; 01-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.

yogibear Guest

Default Re: Anyone here heard of Thomas Alexander Lether Furniture by Regency House?

Found out after going back to the store that my wife went to and taking off all the cushions and then turning the furniture upside down on the sales floor I found the "Consumer Use TAG" which said MADE in China , and imported by Regency House Inc. of Hickory, NC.

Despite seeing 3 labels on the base of the sofa underneath the cushions that say Thomas Alexander - fine leather furniture , Hickory NC -USA in a large 4 " by 6 " sewn in label this piece is actually made in China. Not only that the labels say Lifetime limited warranty, but then when you try to call either the number for Regency House , Inc or their Fax number both are disconnected.

Checked with the NC dept of Licenses they are still listed as being in business but have referred all contact to dealer only contact in form. Glad I was knowledgeable enough and read enough here to know what to look for before letting my wife buy something she would regret and not be able to get serviced should the need arise in even 5 years of owning a product.
    Thanks for all the posts here DC think I will be looking in Manassas at Greenfront or in Alexandria at the Keeping Room.

Default Re: Anyone here heard of Thomas Alexander Lether Furniture by Regency House?

"Lifetime Limited Warranty" is always questionable. What's the "Limited" part you have to ask? Requires a good read and understanding of their warranty policy. Most things that come from China have virtually zero parts availability should you need a replacement of something or a piece of leather because the cat scratched the cushion top.

I noted yesterday in the proposal for Pentagon war-fighting in years to come that the military will prep for a conflict with China in its war plans and equipment expenditures. Why do any of us want to buy anything that supports that economy when you read that? When you have a choice - choose wisely - not only for the sake of quality but for our countries future. I don't carry furniture from China in my store and never will. The quality is marginal at best, and on a higher level I don't want to support their economic structure. (yes, since you asked, my tennis shoes are Made In USA Nikes - they cost more that the Nikes from China).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sofadoo Guest

Wow I wasn't aware that Nike made anything in the USA

Whoops! My bad. I said Nike....I meant New Balance. I haven't owned Nikes in years.

http://www.shopnewbalance.com/information/madeinusa.asp
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

New Balance also is one of the few athletic shoe makers to make a concerted effort to serve the needs of people with wide feet. I'm not sure that any maker does a better job, and most don't even try.