Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken H&M Recliner Mechanism

jules731 Guest

Default Broken H&M Recliner Mechanism

I have an older H&M Austin Tilt Back chair with the optional inside lever. When I engage the lever the back does recline to two positions with a slight push back. However, to return to a sitting position I have to get out of the chair, engage the lever and raise the back by hand. I'm thinking it is probably the piston looking thing that needs to be replaced. My husband is pretty handy and I'm wondering if a) we could get the part we need to repair it and b) could we probably do the work ouselves? I could not find a model number anywhere on the chair or ottoman. Besides the H&M labels, the only other tag states it is a natural leather with no protective coating that cannot be cleaned. (They've never seen me with a bottle of LeatherMaster cleaner and conditioner!) If we can't do the work ouselves, any idea how much we might expect to pay for the repair? We are not the original owners and live in the Kansas City metro area. Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by jules731 View Post
    I have an older H&M Austin Tilt Back chair with the optional inside lever. When I engage the lever the back does recline to two positions with a slight push back. However, to return to a sitting position I have to get out of the chair, engage the lever and raise the back by hand. I'm thinking it is probably the piston looking thing that needs to be replaced. My husband is pretty handy and I'm wondering if a) we could get the part we need to repair it and b) could we probably do the work ouselves? I could not find a model number anywhere on the chair or ottoman. Besides the H&M labels, the only other tag states it is a natural leather with no protective coating that cannot be cleaned. (They've never seen me with a bottle of LeatherMaster cleaner and conditioner!) If we can't do the work ouselves, any idea how much we might expect to pay for the repair? We are not the original owners and live in the Kansas City metro area. Thanks for your time!
    The Austin Tilt Back # 2232NB has a gas strut in the center of the chair, directly under the back. There's a cable that goes from the release lever to the strut. Sounds like what you need is a new gas strut, which you can purchase from H&M. Call Debbie @ Customer Service (she handles all the parts) or if they want you to go through a dealer I can get it for you.

This is not hard to replace, but you will need to pull the back panel off the chair, which depends on how handy you are! Its possible to reset the cable if it slips out of the ferrule by going in between the seat and back cushion but I don't think you can get the whole strut in there that way, not enough room. You may want to let a pro local guy do the detach work, and the strut will go in in about 2 minutes once the access is there.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jules731 Guest

My husband's eyes got big when he thought about taking the back off. Stay tuned.... Thanks Duane & happy holidays!

<laughing> Well, its not a job for the meek......BTW, H&M is closed until Monday the 29th, so if you need to get that strut you'll have to wait until then to call.
    Duane Collie

marty Guest

Default Re: Broken H&M Recliner Mechanism

Hi ........I also have an H and M Austin tilt back club chair and the lever which is in side next to the seat cushion will let the chair go back but I have to pull the back up by hand. I am wondering if I can take the cloth cover at the underneath of the chair and check out what is wrong from there as opposed to removing the back, which looks like a tough job. I picked up Debbie at 828 495 8235 from another post and will call for the gas strut if I need one but I want to see if there is a cable disconnect first. Can you advise further?
    Thanks, Marty
    Last edited by marty; 06-04-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: listed incorrect phone #

The lever releases the strut so you can go back, but the gas strut is shot, which is why it won't come back up. If the cable were bad, you would not even be able to go down. You will need to replace the gas strut as per the older posts. A local upholsterer can do that job very easily in under an hour if you get the part for them. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

marty Guest

Good info...Glad you are here.......Thanks much..Marty

patrol Guest

Along these same lines, I have a tilt back and when I recline it, sometimes it will start slipping and go all the way to the down position. I'm guessing strut too. ?

Perhaps..most the time when the strut is bad, the chair won't return upright as the gas is gone from it. If your returns to upright just fine, then it may be the release mechanism instead.
    Duane Collie

patrol Guest

ok thanks- I wondered about that- is this a diy fix? I'm going to check it out and see if I can get any access to look at it.