Thread: Will a sectional go up this staircase? Measurements included.

susansbs Guest

Default Will a sectional go up this staircase? Measurements included.

Ok I'm still stuck on a sectional for the upstairs rec room but I have to navigate this staircase: It is Z shaped. You zig up one set of stairs. 2 landings and zag up the next set of stairs. The stair measurements are:

• At foot of stairs/ground floor – approx 38 ½ ” wide (banister to wall) and 9 ‘ 4” to ceiling (at third step 8 ’ to ceiling)

• At initial landing – approx 34 ½ “ wide (banister to wall)

• Landing combined are 74 “ wide and 37 “ deep
    o First landing is 35 “ width and 37 “ deep
    o Second landing one step up is 39 “ wide and 37 “ deep

• At top of stairs/second floor 38 “ wide and 8 ‘ 9” to ceiling

Sun is delivering my Utah sofa today--I'm seriously excited!

Default Re: Will a sectional go up this staircase? Measurements included.

Need photos of the stairway, Susan! This is touchy territory - saying something will go up something like that. Then if it doesn't...everyone is unhappy. I can't ever recall seeing a Z-shaped staircase, though I've hauled plenty of pieces up U-shaped ones.

Your Utah sofa should be spectacular....especially the way you configured it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

This is exactly the situation that Simplicity Sofas was designed for.

I realize you have already purchased your furniture but for others with a similar problem, Simplicity Sofas' sectionals will fit up stairs like yours with no problem whatsoever.

All Simplicity Sofas sectionals (and sofas and sleepers) are shipped unassembled. A sofa can be put together by a single person in 15 minutes with no tools. (Nobody ever believes this claim so there is a video on the home page of the website featuring an 8 year old boy assembling a sofa by himself in less than 5 minutes.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwPONAW3llY

For sectionals a typical assembly time is 2 minutes for an armless section, 3 minutes for an arm section and 4 minutes for a corner section. No tools.

For the sectional the largest individual component is only 30" x 30" x 8" which is small enough to fit past even the narrowest entranceways or stairs.

Please be aware we are not talking H&M quality. This is furniture that is on a par with Flexsteel or Thomasville. However, it is custom furniture, available in over 200 different fabrics (or COM) and made by hand one piece at a time, to your specifications, in our High Point, NC factory. All frames use kiln-dried solid oak, with a choice of premium quality 8" thick Ultracel foam or Spring down cushions backed by a lifetime warranty. Lots of special options are available.

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement but we make a product unlike any other in the world (Duane will let you know if that statement isn't true) and few people are aware of its existence.

Jeff Frank, Owner
    Simplicity Sofas

susansbs Guest

Actually, I have not purchased the sectional yet. And in fact I have a Flexisteel sleeper sofa I just bought to go in a spare bedroom upstairs so I'm not absolutely married to H&M (though I have bought a lot of their furniture lately).

So if I can't get any of the H&M sectionals up the staircase, I am willing to consider other options.

I did take pics of the staircase on my cell phone and will try to get my husband to help me post it later.

*****Duane--the Utah sofa is even better than it looks on your website. I absolutely love it!!!****

Just say "NO" to cell photo photos! They are lousy for trying to see detail. Let me have some good, clear, crisp shots of the staircase from all angles so we can try to figure this out. You'll need a real digital camera for that and take the photos during the bright part of the day.

Good news on the Utah sofa! I figured you would be really pleased with that - lots of beautiful detail work the way we did yours. When you get the camera out, lets see that as well. That Utah sofa is a real work of art - its huge, and impressive. How was Sun Delivery? They do a good job for you, Susan?
    Duane Collie

susansbs Guest

Sun delivery did a good job with the Utah sofa--there wasn't a scratch on it, they were on time, and they were polite

The Utah Sofa was more heavily burnished than the picture in the Spring 11 market. It was much richer and more beautiful than in the picture--you're right, it is a work of art. Can I request that the same H&M person that burnished my Utah sofa do the chair(s) I plan to order--or is it just the luck of the draw?

I love, Love, LOVE this sofa (did I mention I love this sofa?)

hglaber Guest

If you keep teasing us without posting photos, we're all coming over.

Yes, as a matter of fact you CAN ! There's a record of the craftspeople who worked on your sofa at H&M, easy enough to do. I tend to think the darker burnishing is more handsome as well.

Glad to hear the SUN guys took care of you. That is NOT an easy sofa to deliver. It's big, and its heavy.

Its always fun when it turns out even better than expected.
    Duane Collie