Thread: Leather dye/touch up

yooper829 Guest

Default Leather dye/touch up

Hello

I have a small rub spot on my new branding young chair...about the size of a dime. They sent me a small bottle of the dye to try and touch it up first before we go to more drastic measures. Any tips for applying it? Heat the leather first? Small q tip or corner of a sponge to apply? Air dry or hair dryer between coats, or should one light coat do the job? It's a finished leather so assuming its an acrylic dye...any other pointers? They didn't send any type of instructions so I'm just wanting to do all the right steps.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Leather dye/touch up

The size of a Dime is not easy to touch up, that's a large area. On an aniline dye, it will take several coats and you will probably need to finish with a topcoat as well, since most BY leathers have some form of topcoat. I always use a finger to dab on, and a hair dryer will help speed re-coating. It may take a dozen applications until you get the color tone right...then you have to even out the topcoat, and that can be the tricky part.

Was this a rub mark in delivery? If so, I'd have the shipper fix it - that size really takes a pro.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

yooper829 Guest

Thanks Duane! I had a feeling it wouldn't be easy....they wanted to bring in a pro to do the repair but there is not one within 100mi of where I'm at. I offered to try and touch it up myself first, since my next option is to haul the chair to a pro myself. It's on the inside back of the arm and the back cushion just about covers it...we didn't notice it until we reclined the chair back and since we signed off on the carrier I think I'm on my own here. BY has been good with helping but i don't feel it's there fault and since I signed off I doubt the carrier will help me now...even though it was a concealed spot I just know there going to tell me to take a hike. I'm going to try it myself first, and if not it looks like we will be taking a road trip! Thanks again for your reply and advice.

If its where it will be mostly covered up, then that's different from a highly visible spot say in the center of a seat cushion or the top of an arm, where most rub marks occur. Try the coats of the aniline dye they send and see what you think after you color that up. Its going to be 'flat' in sheen when you get done, but you can take a little leather protection cream or even hand lotion (sometimes) and massage into the spot and that will probably do the job. It wont' be perfect, but it will get you by and surely is better than hauling it 100 miles each way.

Remember too, that leather furniture is not much different than shoe leather. If your shoes got a scuff - you'd get show polish, right? As an authorized dealer for B-Y, I'm not saying to use shoe polish as a repair material (wink - wink) but you have a leather flag under seat cushion that you can replicate the rub mark, then see what you can do on your own to repair it. Different things work on different leathers - and I've been know to use everything from a furniture maker to spray paint to do touch-ups, and everything in between., Practice on the flag and when you get something you like, replicate the repair on the chair itself.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.