Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious...

yooper829 Guest

Default Just curious...

These are some pictures of the front of the arms on my Bradington Young chair...which is only 5 months old. Granted I do sit in it everyday, but the dye or coloring of the leather is coming off already. Even the sheen is gone now in these areas. Its leather 9384-85 Cordoba and its kind of a two toned or patterned color, and would be almost impossible for me to recolor on my own. So is this something that is normal or to be expected?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair1 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	447 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	3826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair2 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	431 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	3827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair3 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	430 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	3828  

Default Re: Just curious...

This leather you selected is not really losing color per say, it was made this way at the tannery to look old and aged. You may not have known this when you selected this hide, but by design it has a very 'dry' look to it and will develop its own patina over time. It may not have been the look you were expecting, but its not defective, sorry.

To minimize color change and the like, you should apply a barrier product such as Hidey's Beauty Treatment ( $ 27.95 a bottle) which has a cleaner/conditioner and most importantly a Teflon barrier in the formula. That will slow the patina and darkening of the leather from hand oils, etc, though it won't block it completely.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

yooper829 Guest

Thanks Duane....yea not the look that I wanted I'll admit. We were told it was a protected leather so just assumed it wouldnt wear like it is. I hope the rest of the chair begins to age and catches up! Right now it just looks worn off and the color is uniform where it's wearing, not multi toned like the rest of the chair. Blah! I will source some of the product you mentioned and just roll with it. Thanks for the reply! I knew you'd know the answer.

CMBAUR Guest

I do not agree with that assessment. The finish and color is coming off after 6 months?? The finish coming off is not something the tanneries intentionally did, it's defective IMO. Everyone has body oils and where your hands are touching most frequently the transfer of body oils is causing the finish to come off prematurely.

I would certainly feel like that was a defect if my dealer hadn't prepared me for the manner in which that leather ages, but that does not of itself mean that the leather is not intended to age that way or that there isn't a class of consumer that, if informed of the manner of aging, wouldn't want a sofa that would develop an aged / lived-in look. (One of the major mall chain furniture stores had a sofa that I think inspired a thread here - it looked like it was a garage sale reject with the stuffing hanging out. Some people want their new furniture to look old.)

yooper829 Guest

Well that's what I was thinking....I just don't see that the color is designed to rub off like it is in the traffic area of the chair. Plus is not changing anyplace else, just where your hands touch the ends of the arms. The rest of the chair is very uniform in colors and in sheen-it's a bit shiny since its a protected leather except for where the darker color appears to be rubbing off, its flat as can be there almost as if the clear finish is gone. I could see if the entire chairs color was changing or developing a patina, but I still don't see the finish wearing off as part of the leathers design. Maybe the pictures I took don't show what I see as well as I hoped. However it sounds like I'm fighting a loosing battle here, so I suppose contacting BY will give me the same answer....does Hancock & Moore have leathers that colors are designed to rub off like this one?

CMBAUR Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	3836

CMBAUR Guest

The photo above is a savage or 2 tone pigmented leather. Nice patina uh? Contact your dealer, then if need be contact BY. Keep everything in email form so you have a record of what was said.

I just check BY's warranty and there is nothing on leather.... very disappointing even some Chinese bonded or bicast furniture will give you a 1 year warranty.

I'll warn you it will most likely be a battle. If you like your chair and are happy you consider just living with it. To maintain I would recommend ordering some custom color the same dyes used in the tanning process are available through a number of online companies and re-dying the part of the arm. It's really not as hard as one might think. GoodLuck!

CMBAUR, the photo you posted... ouch. Cheap, spray-on finish from China?

yooper829 Guest

This would be expected had I purchased cheap chinese furniture....but I dont consider BY to be cheap. Granted not Hancock Moore but I guess I expected more then what I'm getting here. I'll try BY but I'm sure I'll be told what Duane has told me in his post (which im not knocking! You know your stuff Duane) I sure wish now I had just went with Hancock & Moore now....didn't quite have the budget for it but I should have saved my pennies till I could have made it work! Thanks for the help everyone.