Thread: Seat cushions for Kodiak sofa

SC Gentleman Guest

Default Seat cushions for Kodiak sofa

Duane,

I messaged you a couple of months ago regarding the seat cushions on our Kodiak sofa. I called my dealer and he said he checked with H&M dealer and he confirmed the cushions were standard. I am not convinced. First we had almost immediate puddling of the leather in the first few days of ownership. While I know this is to be expected I was surprised it occured in a couple of days. Not a big deal. But the seat cushions---they compress way to far in my opinion versus the ones we sat on at the store. The Kodiak sofa in the store has a firmer seat. We have owned this sofa for two months now and we are dissapointed. The sofa has become difficult to get out of at times. I feel almost like I am sitting in a bowl. I am actually beginning to have some minor back pain when sitting. With that said I acknowledge I am 6'2 and 250 lbs.

Could the cores possibly be ultra down or is it possible the seating/spring/core of the sofa could be faulty. With all the research I did before purchasing, I am convinced Hancock and Moore builds the best sofa frame and uses the best materials for the entire sofa. I am going to take a cushion to the dealer this week and compare it one in the store.

At the time we ordered the sofa we also ordered two Jessica Charles chairs with Ultra down cushions. It is not my personality to question people too hard about the issue but I am curious as to what your thoughts may be regarding this. At this point my wife and I are growing increasingly unhappy. I may end up purchasing new cores. Make no mistake we love the looks and the quality to detail in H&M. Your forum here played a big part in our decision to spend the extra money and purchase. I would appreciate any thoughts and opinion about this and the best way to address it with either the dealer or Hancock and Moore directly.

Kind regards,

Mark
    Matthews, NC

Default Re: Seat cushions for Kodiak sofa

Hi Mark,

The Kodiak by default has a 'softer' cushion as standard, and I would expect some puddling of the leather (which hide did you order in?) There are code numbers on the inside of the core when you unzip the back that you can copy down and give to your dealer to have them check exactly what core was installed. I doubt they would be Ultra Down but stranger things have happened. Talk to your dealer and tell them how dis-satisfied you are with the cores and ask them to replace the seat units with Q21 (21 oz density extra firm) and I think that will solve the issue for you. If the dealer balks at doing so, press them on it a little. I go to bat for my customers on these kind of things - not all dealers will. And I bat .1000 <g>

Jessica Charles will most likely have Spring Down, not Ultra - so unless you changed the cores you have a marshall unit in those chairs which will feel different with fabric vs ultra down in leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

SC Gentleman Guest

Default Re: Seat cushions for Kodiak sofa

Duane,

Thanks for your input and the information. I hope the Q21 extra firm will resolve this as we really love the sofa. We did order in document leather so I was aware there would be some puddling (thanks to this forum). My wife and I are so proud to finally experience a "Made in the USA" quality sofa. Once we get the new seat cores and I am sure it will be worth it. Thanks again for your wealth of information.

Mark