Thread: Need Some Help: "Mid-Range" Bedroom Set Brands?

emptyhome Guest

Default Need Some Help: "Mid-Range" Bedroom Set Brands?

My wife and I recently moved into our first home. It's time to trash the old ready-to-assemble bedroom set (which is falling apart). Any suggestions on "mid-range" solid wood bedroom set brands? We're looking for something that'll last but not make us take out a second mortgage.

Came across the name "A.P. industries" from some old Gardenweb posts. Is that brand still worth considering? Anything else we should be checking out?

Default Re: Need Some Help: "Mid-Range" Bedroom Set Brands?

Don't assume that you are getting better quality just because the furniture is solid wood.

If you insist on solid wood, however, the oldest mid-range manufacturer still in existence would probably be Kincaid Furniture. Cochrane Furniture used to make solid wood bedrooms. They may still make them. The former owner of Cochrane Furniture is starting a new factory to make solid wood bedrooms called Lincolnton Furniture. Here is an article about that. http://www.gastongazette.com/article...furniture.html

If you want to see what the good stuff looks like try Harden Furniture.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

wintersummer Guest

Emptyhome - Just a thought here. My husband and I make frequent trips to consignment and used furniture stores, just looking for unique and well made pieces. Some of these stores are better than others, with much more selection and nicer furniture (although not necessarily expensive). You have to be patient, because there are times you see nothing. Then, there are the times you run into great furniture that's been cared for and is just looking for a new home. I would never buy upholstered pieces this way, just the case goods. It's a real treasure when one of these stores acquires an entire home, especially some of the larger "estate" type homes in our area.

It's been a bit now but was bedroom shopping a few years and ended up liking the solid wood brands made in north America over the overseas stuff. Just seemed they looked and operated better. In the price range we wanted to stay in around here it seemed to be Durham and Mobel were the two we came across. We preferred Durham and went with it so far it's been good.

organic_smallhome Guest

Honestly, I would consider buying quality used/antique bedroom furniture, if I were you. Look for Henkel-Harris and other quality brands on ebay, or try individual stores, such as this one (link), that has an excellent reputation. You'll get much better quality for less money.

http://www.harpgallery.com/showroom/cid/30/