Thread: Theodore Alexander

Leslie Guest

Default Theodore Alexander

I know this brand is made in Viet Nam....and I was warned by my son-in-law's Dad who is retired from the cabinet business (they dealt with China a lot) to stay away from anything made in Viet Nam. However....in my recent furniture shopping expeditions I saw a gorgeous chest by Theodore Alexander in a very high end store that prides itself on carrying only quality merchandise. The drawers were dovetailed and finished almost as nicely on the inside as on the outside. Here's a pic: http://theodorealexander.com/Product...7-b022cd2317ed

And it seems to me that I read somewhere that even though TA is made in 'Nam it is still good stuff.....so is it???? It wasn't terribly expensive relative to other stuff I have seen, $2K.

Leslie

Default Re: Theodore Alexander

Who can tell from that photo? its just a pretty face....

When you want to evaluate case goods, detail photos are the key and have to be with the drawers pulled, etc. I've never seen anything come out of Vietnam that was 'good furniture', mostly its just OK as long as you aren't too particular.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jhmr17 Guest

We just bought out first two pieces of Theodore Alexander (two identical bedside tables) and I have to say, my wife and I are impressed with the quality and design--especially considering the (relatively low) price point. Good workmanship can be found nearly anywhere in the world these days--IF training and quality control are managed very well. Our house is very well-stocked with MacKenzie Dow, Guy Chaddock, and a few Stickley pieces....so at I consider our expectations to be on the higher end of the spectrum. When we were looking for attractive, but slightly lower-priced nightstands for a guest bedroom, Theodore Alexander proved to be a very good option. As Duane always recommends, seeing something with your own eyes and touching it with your own hands is the only sure way to be comfortable with a particular make. But given our experience, I'd definitely tell you keep TA on your radar screen.

organic_smallhome Guest

We have two Theodore Alexander end tables in our living room, and I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. We bought them years ago, when I didn't know much about furniture. I think we spent $500 each on them (or thereabouts). I now realize that the tops are made of hardwood solids, and not solid hardwood. The sides, however, are solid wood covered in crotch mahogany veneer. They look beautiful and everyone comments on them, but I know that they're not really high quality.

jhmr17 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    We have two Theodore Alexander end tables in our living room, and I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. We bought them years ago, when I didn't know much about furniture. I think we spent $500 each on them (or thereabouts). I now realize that the tops are made of hardwood solids, and not solid hardwood. The sides, however, are solid wood covered in crotch mahogany veneer. They look beautiful and everyone comments on them, but I know that they're not really high quality.
    The fact that the tops are made of 'hardwood solids' alone does not mean that they are suddenly non-functional, unattractive, or terribly constructed. My point was, perfectly acceptable furniture is made all over the world--even in Vietnam. You have to consider what you're paying, for what you get...and consider whether you actually need 'Rolls-Royce' quality furniture for each and every purposes. For us, these night stands sit in a room that is only actively used maybe a dozen times a year; for what we paid for these two pieces, they are certainly very attractive, functional, and constructed well enough.

organic_smallhome Guest

Point taken. I guess I just don't think that hardwood solids is acceptable in a piece of furniture, and--in my opinion--generally indicates that the piece is not well constructed. When they get chipped--and ours have--the white hardwood solids construction is exposed; the drawers fit loosely; and glued-on drawer fronts--all indications of a lesser quality piece, if I'm not mistaken. I also think it's a question of importance to the individual buyer. If I were buying for a guest room or a child's room, for example, I wouldn't worry so much about searching out near-best quality in a piece (but since I usually purchase antique/vintage, precisely because the quality is usually so much higher, it's not something I've had to worry about). For the long-term and/or heavy use, however, I do. I don't exactly need "Rolls-Royce" quality. For example, I would never spend $2500 on an end table. But I would spend $1200-1500, if that meant that the furniture was solid wood and beautifully constructed. I think that perhaps, for me, furniture is more than functional. I'm rather fascinated by the artistry that goes into well-made pieces.

Anything made of chip board and with veneer over inexpensive base lumber is "Thow away" furniture. Its serves a purpose at a price point but you should realize that when you buy it that's it future landfill material.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.