Thread: Protection for my unprotected capri leather

dmstadel Guest

Default Protection for my unprotected capri leather

I just received my parisian sofas in the capri tobacco. I really love the feel of the leather and the look. I live in Michigan and it is usually cloudy here most of the winter. However, the sun has been shining ever since I received the sofas and it is getting some sun light through the windows in our great room, even though they are not right next to the windows. (In the summer, it is quite sunny, but the trees generally block the sun).
    I am really worried about the leather fading and am not sure what to do. Should I get the UV filter for the windows? Will that make it look dark though? Where do I go about getting that applied? OR--should I just apply something to the leather (I read in another post about leather magic SPF 80 sunshield spray) Will that make the leather sticky and not feel as nice?

Default Re: protection for my unprotected capri leather

Capri will spoil you! Once you see that hide, others pale next to it.

The leather fading is gradual, but its a real possibility. I think a combination of methods works best. In own home - and we have all pure anilines - our family room has (5) large palladium windows and the sun streams in. We installed solar film as soon as we moved into the house and that helped considerably ($ 3,500 at the time for all the windows on two sides of the house). We went with a very light shade, concerned that they would be too dark, but were I to do it again I'd go three or four shades darker for more protection. We also use inexpensive cotton 'throws' and place those over the back of the pieces and they absorb what UV rays the solar film doesn't catch. Since my wife and I both work during the week, we leave the throws on Monday through Friday and remove them for the weekend. LeatherMagic also makes a SPF 80 Sunblock screen which is a spray on product that seems to be an effective barrier, though it needs to be misted on and not applied heavily. Available through my store and of course, always try a test area first.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.