Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace cushions or replace sofa?

BostonEd Guest

Default Replace cushions or replace sofa?

Hi folks,

I have a Sofa Trend sectional that I bought about 7 years ago. The body is leather but the seat cushions and pillows are fabric. The cushions are a foam wrapped in dacron which now need replacing as they have begun to lose their shape from use.

I thought about buying a new sectional but have also looked into replacing the cushions. I priced out replacing with a high density foam rubber at about $80 a cushion. I have also priced out replacing with down cushions and/or down cushions with a foam core at about $190 a cushion.

My question is, is it worth it, and if so, what type of cushion would be best for comfort and will last at least 10 to 15 years more withoug losing it's shape?

Thanks for any advice - Ed

Default Re: Replace cushions or replace sofa?

Cores wear out over time. A good core will last about 10 years of heavy use, 20 years of light use. Foam rubber cushions are junk - avoid them. Buy an upholstery-quality Dupont Qualux Poly-Dac and get either a 16 oz or 21 oz insert (21 if you like it a little firmer). There are places on line you can order these from at about $ 100 per.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BostonEd Guest

Thanks Duane. I did a google search for Dupont Qualux Poly-Dac core but am not finding any thing for it? Is it possible for you to provide a link?

Steve3702 Guest

I tried to post earlier, but I don't think it went through: Hi BostonEd-- Like you, I couldn't seem to find an Internet site that mentioned the Poly-Dac (probably a reflection of my "searching" skills as much as anything). Have you run across a link? Thanks!

BostonEd Guest

Hey Steve - We must share the same search skills because I have done a few searches for Dupont Qualux Poly-Dac, tried using different combinations...and unfortunately the only thing I pull up is my post or other posts on this forum.
    Last edited by BostonEd; 02-29-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Have not used them, but they have the right terminology on their website:

http://www.carlylesofas.com/cushionRefill/
    Duane Collie

Steve3702 Guest

Thanks for your guidance Duane. Honestly, I feel like Goldilox, but I just want to make sure I understand your earlier suggestion in this thread--"Dupont Qualux Poly-Dac and get either a 16 oz or 21 oz insert." Would the insert be completely made out of this fabric or would the qualux be wrapped around something else? I noticed your comment about foam rubber, so I wanted to be sure. We have a spring down, which was pricey, but doesn't seem quite firm enough after sitting on it for an hour or so. Would the Qualux have the same kind of "crown," and would you recommend the back cushions be made of similar material? Thanks!
    Last edited by Steve3702; 06-23-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Dupont Qualux is a premium interior foam, made for the furniture industry. Its the core, and then wrapped around that. Not inexpensive, but they do give a good service duty cycle. Backs of a fiber fill......
    Duane Collie

Another cushion source you may want to check out is Seamcraft in High Point, NC. They are a manufacturer specializing in making cushions for upholstered furniture manufacturers but may sell directly to individuals.

I buy two types of cushions from Seamcraft -- an 8 inch thick Ultracel foam core with a Dacron Polyester wrapping which is equivalent in quality to Duane's Qualux. I also buy an 8 inch thick Spring-down cushion which is an upgrade (approx. $50-100 more at retail depending on the size of the cushion.) These Spring-down cushions use a fabric-encased Marshall coil unit similar to the ones used in the Simmons Beautyrest Mattress line since 1935. Seamcraft supplied these Spring-down cushions to both Hancock and Moore and Braddington Young for many years.

You can call Seamcraft at 800-640-6720. They have a website listed at http://www.carolinacushion.com/default.aspx which contains only a very limited part of their total manufacturing line. Warning -- there is another company also called SeamCraft located in the Midwest. It is not the same company and makes different products.

If you have problems communicating with Seamcraft let me know and I should be able to help.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

foamquest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Cores wear out over time. A good core will last about 10 years of heavy use, 20 years of light use. Foam rubber cushions are junk - avoid them. Buy an upholstery-quality Dupont Qualux Poly-Dac and get either a 16 oz or 21 oz insert (21 if you like it a little firmer). There are places on line you can order these from at about $ 100 per.
    Hi DrCollie - hopefully reviving this older thread is o.k.....I have a question related to something you said here. When you say that "foam rubber cushions are junk" - exactly what type of "foam rubber" are you talking about? Are you talking about latex - whether it be "100% natural" or partially-synthetic ("blended")? Or are you talking about standard polyurethane foam that is not of the Dupont Qualux Poly-Dac grade?

Thanks for your help. I have a great need to get my hands on premium-quality foam (either Dupont Qualux Poly-Dac and/or Ultracel) - so hopefully the links that are provided in this thread still lead to opportunities...

Oh - I have one other question....if you can help me with this. I've noticed that some foam suppliers advertise a foam called "Ultracell" (two "L"s) - is this a different type/brand of foam from "Ultracel" - or are they the same foam - just with variant spellings?