Thread: Why the Lazboy Ad?

Default Why the Lazboy Ad?

With the distain for Lazboy furniture expressed in many posts (which I certainly agree with) why the sellout in allowing their advertisements on such a classy site as My Furniture Forum? I certainly understand that this site has costs to operate and support and is made free for members and others, but I would expect the same integrity and conviction that is demonstrated throughout the site and most especially by "our leader" to be consistent in the acceptable advertiser list. I for one find the flashing Lazboy advertisement as totally inconsistent with the best online source of information and support for quality American made furniture that this site represents. If membership fees or other sources of financial support are necessary to eliminate the tacky ads from a tacky company then sign me up.

Default Re: Why the Lazboy Ad?

Quote Originally Posted by cuse69 View Post
    With the distain for Lazboy furniture expressed in many posts (which I certainly agree with) why the sellout in allowing their advertisements on such a classy site as My Furniture Forum? I certainly understand that this site has costs to operate and support and is made free for members and others, but I would expect the same integrity and conviction that is demonstrated throughout the site and most especially by "our leader" to be consistent in the acceptable advertiser list. I for one find the flashing Lazboy advertisement as totally inconsistent with the best online source of information and support for quality American made furniture that this site represents. If membership fees or other sources of financial support are necessary to eliminate the tacky ads from a tacky company then sign me up.
    You mean at the top of the forum on the ad banner? Google Ad Words determines the content of the ads, and its different for every user based on your browsing habits. For example, the ads that I see on my computer are often for BMW's and Porsches, as that's what I search the web for quite frequently. You are probably surfing furniture or recliners - so you get La-Z-Boy! I do have some control over ad content blocking (such as nothing sexual, etc) and can block specific ad sites by address if I want to - but that's a LOT of work to do that. I could eliminate the ads altogether, but I seriously doubt anyone here wants to pay for the forum, which costs about $ 2K a year to maintain. By clicking on the ads on the top, the revenue stream from user clicks comes close to breaking even with the forum costs. The vast majority of people that come by here want to use the forum for free information then go price shopping for the lowest price - overall, there is little loyalty in purchasing from my store if they can find it a few dollars less elsewhere so I cannot fund it with sales from customers, there are simply not enough buyers.

Without the revenue stream from the ads I could not afford to maintain the forum in its current state (Fast Server, lots of bandwidth for photos). I just spent another $ 858 on it last week to renew a portion of it for another year with GoDaddy.

So click the ads, build the revenue stream! Because if the funding dries up, so will the forum. Every time you come on the forum, click on the ads to our sponsors - that's what keeps it going (along with Aaron's unpaid volunteer help on technical issues).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for the information Duane. I will do my part to support the site by clicking on ads. Strange that I get the Lazboy ad when using my i-Pad but not with my Mac desktop.

hglaber Guest

Actually not that strange. Your ads profile on every device (or even in different browsers on the same device) is unique, based on where you go on the internet on each of them. See that little "AdChoices" with the arrow below the ad? If you click on that, then on "Ad Preferences Manager" you can see what Google thinks your interests and demographics are. You can even delete categories or opt out entirely.

Thanks hglaber for the information. I have followed your suggestion and modified my profile. Let's see what ads are suggested by Google after the changes.

bubbaonline Guest

I don't get any banner ads... not that I'm complaining...