Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steer me into a great sofa please?

Default Re: Steer me into a great sofa please?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabardine View Post
    Wow, that's quite an accomplishment! I will take a look. I am not thrilled with my local custom options. I asked one maker about his support system of choice and he said "web" and when I asked for testimonials he said "I've been in business 20 years, that's testimonial enough."
    HA! I've been in business 27 years and I wouldn't own an upholstered piece for myself with webbing as the seat suspension component. You can pass that onto "Junior" if you like. <G>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

By complete coincidence, last night I stumbled upon a local upholsterer that also makes custom pieces. He too is a fan of the William Birch sofa and says one can be made to fit through the 28 inch squeeze (likely 33/34" in height). He had about 1/2 dozen people working away, and some very well tailored pieces. He seems to be busy enough to not have a Google-able website, which is why I couldn't find him.

I'm looking for something like the Restoration Hardware English Roll Arm Upholstered Sofa and he said it's do-able.

The only concern was that they prefer zig zag suspension and indicated that for a TV room sofa that cushions make a bigger difference (8-way hand tied is offered, but obviously at extra cost). He uses the highest quality foam from Koosh by Foamite, a local producer which I think is rated at either 2.2 or 2.5.

Is he right?

I'm getting together my dimensions and we'll be discussing a fabric choice and eventually a quote in a few days.

Well, he tells a good story.....lol
    Duane Collie

Are you all familiar with the William Birch style sofa? Or is that more of a Canadian/UK thing? I found a H&M dealer down in the Niagara area, though I don't think they make a sofa a deep, long with a lower back.

Just came across this local furniture maker's website of what appears to be royalty-grade furniture. I shudder to think what a long sofa would cost. Upholstery is discussed about 2/3 of the way through the video where they mention 80/20 down/feather back cushions. Whoah.

Hi Drcollie: Looking at the Taylor King site and sensing some promise, do you think I'll have any luck with them? Their custom sofa program, or even Big Sur, Emerson, Heathrow, St. Andrews models might fit the bill. Only issue is stairwell clearance. Ideally I can get a 4 seater, but two one-armed loveseats would do, no?

Taylor King builds a nice product, that is high quality. I can't' say what may or may not fit in a particular staircase without having specific measurements and photos of the egress.
    Duane Collie

I finally got around to taking some photos, so I'm really hope for help to narrow down what will fit. I am still looking for a lounging TV/room sofa that's long enough to fit one person lying down and another seated (8 feet, inside width). English roll arm, t-cushions, skirtless with turned legs, loose back. Also open to two one-armed pieces to achieve a long sofa.

The tight squeeze is the stairwell which is 29 inches. We can remove the railing from the wall, but the outside railing eats another inch (28 inches between it and the wall). The space is very open and maneuvering-friendly. As big as possible, and let's assume (or dream) price is no object.

Photos from bottom to top:

That's tough. No wiggle room, drywall at risk!

I'm liking Jeff's Simplicity sofas on that one. 96" interior length? I don't see it except on a sofa that comes apart like Jeff's...
    Duane Collie

I haven't found a style of Simplicity sofa I like. Some combination from H&M York or Taylor King Big Sur one-armed loveseats? Am I dreaming?