Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New & nervous about today's leather sofa, chair & ottoman purchase

Maxine Guest

Default New & nervous about today's leather sofa, chair & ottoman purchase

Several years ago I purchased a leather sectional without any knowledge or concerns for better quality furniture. It has neither worn well nor withstood average use. Fed up with looking at and sitting on this tired, depressing furniture, I have spent many hours in stores and online searching for a better quality replacement. Each salesperson has their opinion on good leather, and of course none will tell me that their furniture is really not worth the money I would put out for it. I did find the currierfurniture list of poor to best leather furniture manufactures online. All of the sofas I had picked out were in the poor section!! Facing the reality that I obviously don't know anything about what I should look for, I went to a well known quality furniture store where I picked out a Legacy Leather furniture grouping. I was told that the furniture is made in Canada and is of very good quality. I did fall in love with the way it felt, the look, and the comfort as well as the impressive comments from the salesperson. The total cost of all pieces was more than double what I had planned on spending, but that was based on pricing of the "poor" quality I had been looking at.

I do apologize for rambling on... I'm almost done!!

After putting a deposit on the Legacy furniture, I decided to see where they rated on the currierfurniture listing and was surprised to see that Legacy wasn't even on the list. This concerned me.

I am curious to know where this furniture rates quality, manufacture, and endurance-wise with other well known quality furniture. Should I have done more research?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any comments you have.

Maxine

Default Re: New & nervous about today's leather sofa, chair & ottoman purchase

I've seen that list many times, and don't agree with their rating, they obviously have never seen the inside of the pieces they are rating or been to the factories where they are made. Or - and this is the more likely case - they are a dealer for Bradington Young and Classic Leather and thus rate them at the top (What a surprise, they are!)

http://www.curriersleather.com/manufacturers_rank.php

Let's change that list around some....for there is lots left out, and needs to be re-ordered.

First off, Hancock & Moore is the Gold Standard in the industry. Not only in quality and depth of product, but in the finest customer service I've seen in the industry. They set the bar. Leathercraft is similar in build, but lacks the product diversity and the sale marketing materials of H&M as well as the top of the line customer service. But Leathercraft is made to a very high level. In this top tier list I'll also include Councill, Baker, Taylor King, Stickley and Wesley Hall.

Bradington Young and Classic Leather are a level below. They are 20 % less build quality and 20 % less in price. For starters, they are on plywood frames (as is most the industry) and the quality of the build is not on bar with the top flight companies. Its not bad - don't get me wrong, but its not at the top of the list like Currier furniture would have you believe.

One can't really make an entire list like that and rate every company unless you can see how things are made in person. Who has time to get inside all the factories and see? Not I ! So I will never make a list up like that because without hands-on examination its just made-up, self-serving crap, like Currier is doing. Makers also change their builds due to market place and pricing structures so what was made one way three years ago may be made different today. Remember that everything looks and feels good when its new....its time / use that shows the build quality. As materials stretch and react to weight and stress, only properly made pieces will stand the test of time. Probably the best way to determine how well a brand performs is to ask the folks that own them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Maxine Guest

Thank you for your quick and informative reply. However, I'm still not clear on where Legacy Leather fits in the world of leather furniture manufacturers. The few people I know of that have leather living room furniture purchased it at one of the many local chain-store discount furniture outlets where I purchased my failing sectional several years ago.

Since putting a deposit on the Legacy I've tried searching the internet for information without luck. Their website is also not working. I'm holding my breath that I didn't make another - more expensive - mistake.

If anyone can offer any insight, please reply.

Thank you.

organic_smallhome Guest

If you can't find information on the company, I'd take that as not at all a good sign. Any chance you can cancel the order? It sounds like you spent quite a bit of money. If I were you I would cancel the order PRONTO, and then look into Hancock & Moore.

There are hundreds of makers out there - it would be a full time job (a la Consumer Reports) to try to rate and review all the lines out there. Looking at Legacy's website (which I just studied) it appears they have a solid warranty and claim to build out of hardwood frames, with a cushion cored replacement policy as well. That's as good as you're going to find, so there is strength there. It also appears to be made in Ontario rather than re-labeling some Chinese trash shipped over in a container, so that's a good sign, too. I'd say if you were happy with it in the store and it hit your price budget, then stay with the order. If you can report back here after owning it for a few years, that's invaluable information that everyone here can use. Most all pieces, even from the cheapest maker, will give a couple years good service. As the pieces age is the true test and we can only find out if owners report back to the group and let us know how the purchase went. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

Maxine Guest

Thank you, again for sharing your knowledge and experience. I have decided to stick with my choice, your statements were very important points in my original decision. The price I paid is the maximum affordable for me, and from what I can gather, Hancock & Moore is much more expensive so that is not an option for me.

Like everyone else, I want the best bang for my buck. Hopefully I'll be reporting back in a couple of years with all smiles!

Thanks for your input

Maxine Guest

One more question... you mentioned that you had just studied Legacy's website. Every time I try to visit their website, "Under Construction" is all I get.

The information on this company is obviously incorrect on the information websites I use. Can you please provide the website you visited?

Thank you.

yogibear Guest

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Campio Furniture Group is another name for a Chinese Import company.

http://www.tradeinfo365.com/htm/Nort...-13421292.html

Also you might want to look for the Consumer Use Tag on the Furniture or the sample in the store of which you are about to purchase. Ask the seller to show you the tag it is Federal Requirement that the furniture being sold have that white tag on it to show you the composition of the furniture, where made and if imported what company did the importation. All furniture sold in the USA must have this tag , They may be going to Canada now to circumvent having to tell you.. Not sure of your location. Ar you in the states?
    Campio Is the make of Legacy Leather.. it says it on the bottom of their web page.

Good detective work. That changes things because they seem to imply its made in Canada. If I had bought their furniture, I'd be feeling duped about now.
    Duane Collie

The link shows the shipment of leather covers - so it may be that the frame is built in Canada while they have the leather cut and sewn in China, then imported for attachment.