Thread: recliner questions

commafactory Guest

Default recliner questions

We are looking for a recliner or loveseat recliner (not sure which yet) that looks less grandparently than the typical tufted lazyboys (though those micro-fiber cushy ones feel pretty nice in the stores). Our friend has a Pottery Barn leather recliner which looks nice, but I've been reading about shoddy quality. And it's leather.

Do you have any recommendations on make? I know you recommend leather for durability, but we don't like the way it can sometimes feel clammy and slippery. Is there anyone out there that's making recliners in interesting and cool fabrics that don't look like they came from the discount upholestry section?

We are coming to DC through Charlottesville tomorrow. Any store recommendations -- we'd like to sit in a few to see what feels comfortable.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by commafactory View Post
    We are looking for a recliner or loveseat recliner (not sure which yet) that looks less grandparently than the typical tufted lazyboys (though those micro-fiber cushy ones feel pretty nice in the stores). Our friend has a Pottery Barn leather recliner which looks nice, but I've been reading about shoddy quality. And it's leather.

Do you have any recommendations on make? I know you recommend leather for durability, but we don't like the way it can sometimes feel clammy and slippery. Is there anyone out there that's making recliners in interesting and cool fabrics that don't look like they came from the discount upholestry section?

We are coming to DC through Charlottesville tomorrow. Any store recommendations -- we'd like to sit in a few to see what feels comfortable.

thanks!
    A lot depends on the price point you want to be at. That's a major factor in making a recommendation. Leather is best for ALL motion furniture regardless of brand because of the wear factor (outlasts fabric by a factor of 4) coupled with the cost of reupolstery. As far as clammy and slippery, you just need to try out better hides.

If you decide to stay with fabric, then look for high-wearabilty fabrics, typically every fabric has a rub value to it (called the Martindale method or the Wyzenbeck test). The higher rub value, the better wearability. Sometimes these numbers can be hard to get from a maker, however. Microfibers are proving to be durable and much easier to clean.

Check out Greenfront furniture in Manassas, VA. My store is in Alexandria, but I doubt I will have what you are looking for. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.