Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&M quest

onthemove Guest

Default H&M quest

Hello,
    Like many, many others have said - thank you for this forum! I have learned a lot and spent way too much time on it!!

We have a few sofas I'd love to get quotes sent to me on...but first was wondering if Duane could give his two cents on what you would call "timeless" - ? pieces, I guess...

I love the fact that taking care of your leather furniture will allow you to keep it for so long, which made me curious to see other pieces of furniture that has been around a little while...on craigslist, I saw many, many very unattractive sofas and chairs. They kind of looked like furniture covered in leather pillows.

I'm sure most of them were not the best quality, but the style is what mainly worried me. I know styles come and go, but am hoping to pick something out that one of our sons wouldn't be embarrassed to have in his house, down the road. (is that possible?)

Doing a google search, I came across this sofa from the 80s, which to me, still looks pretty cool. http://www.europeanantiques.co.nz/ca...p=9&pp=default

So I guess my question is, after your many years in the industry, what styles do you feel will stand the test of time? (any from the line)

Here are our current favorites for the time being, hoping to get quotes for Grades 2 and 3.

Chancellor 1743
    Sanctuary
    Chadwick
    Tower sofa (we like the looks of this, but this is one I'm thinking will look more "out of style" later)
    Clivedon (this was one of my husband's favorites before we saw the Chadwick and Chancellor)
    Scandic (this is a little plain for us, so wondering what a ballpark would be for adding some nail trim?)
    Bedford (this might be the best for our family room, dimension-wise - with the exception of the arm height)

Thank you!! This has been much more time intensive than I would've imagined!

One more note...if anyone has the chancellor, chadwick, or sanctuary - I would love to hear how comfortable you feel these are. This is actually for our family room, so we do want it to be comfortable too. thanks.
    Last edited by onthemove; 02-16-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: forgot to add something about the timeless thing

onthemove Guest

Default Re: H&M quest

I also meant to add...after reading this a little bit, and realizing that Duane was in DC, we were so excited! The Air Force will be bringing us to the area this summer, so we are hoping to have our sofa ready about the time we get there I know it can be delivered anywhere, but still fun that we will be close...we can drop by from time to time.

Furniture is fashion once you get beyond the "Joe 6-Pack" styles from companies like Ashley and Flexsteel. It will come and go with the times, and much like clothing will always be changing. At the upper end of things such as Hancock and Moore, they pay a lot of money to hire professional furniture designers from around the world to develop the new pieces you see at Market. Those designs do not come cheaply, I've seen the line drawings and met some of the designers in person. What you will then see is knock-offs of their designs coming from lesser companies appearing 6 to 12 months after H&M rolls them out. Once they show a new design at Market to the dealers, they will note what we dealers like and buy for our floor stock. If poorly received, then the pieces at Market may not even make it into production. Once in the line, they will be sales driven and when a style is exhausted and no longer selling well, its dropped from the line.

H&M styles that have stood the test of time? The Austin and City series certainly...classics that have been in the line for longer than I've been a dealer. A generic style called 'Lawson Arm' (which is like the City, and Member sofas) is perhaps the most time-tested of all sofa designs and every furniture company makes one of those as well as "English Arms" and "Trac Arms". Some customers like to change their styles every few years, others like to hang onto things until they are no longer usable. I'm probably in the middle and replace most my furniture when its about 15 years old because something new will catch my eye and my wife and I are tired of looking at the same old thing in a room, even though the quality of the pieces we buy means there is lots of service life left.

We don't do quotes in the public forum, sorry. You may PM me here on the forum with the pieces you would like, and your city/state/zip for a shipping quote as well. Please limit them to a few as I have to calculate each one - there's no master list to read them off of (too many sku's and variables).

Stop by the store, anytime!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

onthemove Guest

Great, thank you for your input!
    I am working on narrowing it to 2 or 3 styles for right now...

We actually won't have to have it shipped, as we are moving there this summer and would love to just have it delivered once we've moved. (our house will be in the Lake Ridge area, would you deliver there?)

Thanks again, I appreciate it and will PM you soon.

Surely! Lake Ridge is not far at all, only 15 miles. We run the delivery truck out to about 3 hours in any direction. Beyond that, it usually more cost effective to have it shipped with a commercial carrier.
    Duane Collie

onthemove Guest

I have another quick question...we are trying to compare dimensions online to our current sofa which is an oversized, comfortable sofa we inherited from my parents several years ago. It's fairly deep (about 24 in) and the back height (from seat to height of back cushions) is about 21". To figure out the height, it seems logical to take the height of the couch and subtract the seat height - is that right? But then that leaves many of the backs to seem kind of low - like 15 or 17 inches. Maybe we are just so used to a bigger sofa and so some of the heights seem lower than I would think.

For example, the city 9844 would have a back cushion height of 16 in. Does that sound right? This is affecting which sofas we are looking at, so just wanting to make sure I'm figuring it out right.

Thanks again!

All depends on the seat pitch. Your method will work reasonably well - but keep in mind all manufacturers have a + or - 2" Tolerance (including H&M) built into their production specs, so trying to zero in on a accurate measurement is a moot point.
    Duane Collie

onthemove Guest

that makes sense...thanks

onthemove Guest

About the leather...this is really overwhelming to me right now.

We've visited a store and looked at some of them, and based on what we saw (unable to look very long because of an unhappy toddler) - the Garfield Sable has been our favorite. We prefer the look of that leather over the more pebbly texture. We do want it to seem like real leather - smoother, showing hide marks, etc. I'm not sure at this point if we will go ahead and pay the extra for a Grade 3, but if we really love it, we would probably try to make it work.

I was wondering what other leathers you recommend for the less processed look? Not sure if that's even correct terminology...

Anything in the Gr2 that is like this? I'm wanting to request some samples, but having a hard time figuring out which ones.

Thank you,
    Jenn

onthemove Guest

Here are our leather samples we just ordered from you...wondering if you have any other suggestions on a similar look to these. I might have missed something we might like. Thanks!

Yardley Tobacco

Tiburon Mink

Garfield Sable

Hand-Antiqued Saddle

Tuscany Harness and saddle

Kipling Saddle and sand

Atticus Chestnut and sable