Thread: help-should I cancel order?

hwmom Guest

Default help-should I cancel order?

I am a hardworking mom who needed sofa and loveseat to replace broken/torn set (from ashley). could only spend $3000 max. Saw a set online at barifurniture(san diego set) and ordered but order not final. Have now discovered this site and am worried that I am making a mistake. The description of the set I ordered says a hardwood frame, sinuous springs and top grain leather. I need leather due to allergies, and I have a dog and two kids hard on furniture. I appreciate any advice. thank you.

CMBAUR Guest

Default Re: help-should I cancel order?

I am a manufacturer representative and have meet with the owners of Bari Leather at their store in Orlando, he seems to be an honest guy. I pulled up the photo and do not know the manufacturer of the San Diego set unfortunately. It's tough to say from a photo and not seeing the product in person what to expect. Sinuous Springs is arguably the second best foundation to an Eight-way hand tied system. I might be curious about the cushions.... whether they are inner spring or just foam. Whether the seats/backs are sewn in or loose or zipper accessible or not. Top grain everywhere or just seats and back? On the positive side it will probably be better quality than Ashley....

hwmom Guest

Thank you for your input - I'm not sure about the cushions -- I think they are foam. The sales person on the phone said the leather is all over -- I hope they are as honest as the owner you met. It concerns me that I have not received the swatches yet (6 days- they were supposed to be here in 2) and that is why it's not final yet. The sales person led me to believe this sofa set is made by the same place as Palliser. I'm not sure of the quality of that furniture either, though.

karlos Guest

I would cancel that order in a heartbeat and buy something from Duane that will last 20 plus years in real leather not top grain, which is junk camparively. I bought a gerat kodiak sofa and shipping to seattle was 340,00 . price was 1500.00 off local high end stores that carry Hancock moore tec.... good luck

Matthew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    in real leather not top grain, which is junk camparively.
    I can't speak to the actual quality of the sofa she's looking at, but top grain is real leather. The hide is split into two layers: the upper portion ("top grain") and lower portion ("splits", I believe). Top grain is what you want. You don't want splits (or bi-cast as I think splits eventually become).

CMBAUR Guest

Palliser for that price-point is a safe place to be IMO. With custom furniture returns aren't something the manufacturing side allows however it's a good gauge on the retailer and their confidence level with their product. Some online retailers will do a 30 days guarantee (most will make you pay frt there and back) but for my money it shows their confidence or lack there of the product they promote, especially if you have never sat in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hwmom View Post
    I am a hardworking mom who needed sofa and loveseat to replace broken/torn set (from ashley). could only spend $3000 max. Saw a set online at barifurniture(san diego set) and ordered but order not final. Have now discovered this site and am worried that I am making a mistake. The description of the set I ordered says a hardwood frame, sinuous springs and top grain leather. I need leather due to allergies, and I have a dog and two kids hard on furniture. I appreciate any advice. thank you.
    Just about anything is better than Ashley, that is perhaps the worst 'name brand' furniture line I've come across, and it does have a reputation for quick break-down and failure. $ 3K for both a loveseat and sofa is a tough nut, I wouldn't have anything in my store in leather to bring to the table. I can almost guarantee you that the frame won't be solid hardwood at that price (it will be 'engineered hardwoods' which is a fancy name for plywood), and there are good top grain leathers and ones not so good. In and of itself that's no guarantee of quality. Sinuous springs are so-so, but that's what I would expect at that price point. If you can move your budget to $ 4K you can get into some of the Bradington Young frames, which though still plywood-framed, gets you into 8-Way Hand-Tied and a reputation for durability though they are not as fine as lines such as H&M and Leathercraft.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.