Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sneak peak at the April market for Hancock and Moore

Default A sneak peak at the April market for Hancock and Moore

I had lunch yesterday with the smartest man in the furniture business, the gentleman who owns H&M. We went to my favorite haunt (Mike's American Grill in Springfield, VA) and spent far too long over lunch talking about our passions for fine furniture. The time flew, but I don't often get to do this so I didn't rush back to the store. I learn something every time I sit down and have these long chats and am like a sponge in my quest to know every nuance about this business.

After lunch we went to the parking lot and I got a sneak peak at some of the new market intros coming next month (Furniture Market is mid April). Among the new things from H&M are two new small scale sectionals with run lenghts against the wall of around 90" or so (HURRAH!!! I"ve been asking for these for a long time), one of which is based on this series:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2133

Those are going to be winners. I have so many customers asking for H&M quality in a compact sectional that I have no doubt these will be well-received.

I flipped at some of the new leathers they are going to introduce. The kind of leathers I like. REAL leathers from Italy (several), and this spectacular glove soft leather from Denmark that is used on ladies high end handbags. I've never seen a leather like this in the furniture end of things. And for those that like funky - a new hide made from a African Antelope or Gazelle (I forgot which species) that is unlike anything you have ever seen. Its' full of natural markings and a real kaleidoscope of textures and striations. It a leather you would expect Ernest Hemingway to have on his chair, after he shot the animal and tanned it himself. Not for everyone, it will drive the quality control inspectors at H&M batty.

As usual, I will go to Market armed with my trusty Nikon D7000 and take photos of all that is new and interesting next month.

Also, there was a 1-shot special on Pullman Leather Burnished and I ordered a single Teton sofa with Buffalo nickel trim on it, with Ultra Down seat. Anyone interested in that, ping me via PM for a special price. It will look exactly like this which I had on my floor a few years ago and it sold in a couple of days.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ighlight=teton
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: A sneak peak at the April market for Hancock and Moore

Duane,

When do we get to see the new leathers from H&M and when will they be available for sale?

AilFin Guest

I want to know, too.

I decided not go to Market this spring, so I don't have my usual report to make on what's new and exciting. My store is full to the rafters with inventory, and as such I didn't need to buy anything for stock. My H&M reps will bring the new leathers to the store in about a month as well as photos of the new items. Expect to see them on the H&M website near the middle to end of June.
    Duane Collie

AilFin Guest

Why does it take so long for H&M to get the pics on their website? I have a feeling I'm going to order a sofa from you, and then discover that H&M has a new, and soon to be discontinued, leather color I love (based on your photos, not on seeing it IRL). Largo Clover is an example of that!

One of the reasons is because not every frame and leather shown at market makes it into the line. They will introduce items and new hides, but if response from the dealers is lackluster then they won't bring that item on board. Once they decide what to add, then its photographed and added. Usually takes about 6 weeks from Market End date.

Its a lot of work for me to go there and shoot all those photos and then post them...takes a lot of time to download and run each photo through Photoshop. I'm not sure that its worth the time for me to do all that as response to the new items isn't really noticeable from forum replies - so this Market I decided to stay home and do chores around the house on Sunday rather than a mad dash to market and back.
    Duane Collie

AilFin Guest

I don't blame you for staying home, especially since you work 6 days a week as it is. What happens to the furniture they show at the Market that they decide not to add to their product line?

The showroom is sold at a steep discount to a dealer or two during the Market. As soon as it ends, the furniture is gathered up and shipped to them after being run through quality control and any touch-ups done. Whomever buys the Showroom gets the prototype pieces that won't make it into production.

I'd LOVE to buy the showroom because the discount is incredible. But I would have no where to put 200 pieces of furniture!
    Duane Collie

spbell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

I'd LOVE to buy the showroom because the discount is incredible. But I would have no where to put 200 pieces of furniture!
    Humm...you can store some of those showroom pieces in my house any day!

Vegas Guest

Oh, I wish I could see your showroom. I sent a PM leather sample request yesterday and I know when I receive the samples it will be a great help in trying to find the right leather color choice. But, it sure is frustrating not having a H&M dealer close by where I could actually see whole pieces. Can't travel to CA at this time where I could find a dealer so I am using the forum intensely.

I am learning so much its just great. Glad to Duane is a royal-pedic dealer too which will be down the line for my husband and I once we get our Bucket List furniture choices completed.