Thread: Restoration Hardware's New Deconstructed Furniture Line

Hybrid View

MJM_CA Guest

Default Restoration Hardware's New Deconstructed Furniture Line

Restoration Hardware introduced their new "Deconstructed" furniture line with exposed frames.

For those who like an old, shabby chic look...
    It looks like you're sitting on the raw cushion cores. Wonder how they'll sell?

http://www.restorationhardware.com/c...yId=cat1760078

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Restoration Hardware's New Deconstructed Furniture Line

Wow. To each their own, but "back room at the reupholsterer's shop" is not a look I yearn for personally. I also don't have the cash to buy things like this, then have to replace them in five years when the new trend is "monastery ascetic" or "Magnificent Magenta Overstuffed 80s" or whatever it turns out to be.

I think I might sew some hay tarps shut, stuff them with clean straw, and start my own "deconstructed bedroom set" line while the deconstructed fad is riding high. Maybe have some dressers with no tops or drawer fronts as companion pieces.

CMBAUR Guest

There's a sucker born every minute. Maybe that's a little harsh some of the styles look okie IMO. It's funny to me how Restoration Hardware is attempting to get away with this.... any other manufacturer would be laughed out of the industry.. This stuff comes from China and is overpriced now they aren't even giving people the fabric to cover the pieces what's next "invisible furniture"

Matthew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CMBAUR View Post
    There's a sucker born every minute. Maybe that's a little harsh some of the styles look okie IMO. It's funny to me how Restoration Hardware is attempting to get away with this.... any other manufacturer would be laughed out of the industry.. This stuff comes from China and is overpriced now they aren't even giving people the fabric to cover the pieces what's next "invisible furniture"
    RH's normal furniture styles have always been very popular (I've always liked their sofas, if not their prices). If anything, they're a little behind the game on this. I've seen deconstructed chairs for years when someone wants to do the whole "shabby chic" thing or have some sort of piece that stands out. While it isn't really my thing, I have several friends who would love the looks of this line.

MJM_CA Guest

RH's new styles are not for me. I guess a limited use chair in the right setting might be okay to make a statement. My problem is the cost. The furniture doesn't look durable. The cushions look worn and any spill would stain easily. The small nail tacks look like they'd pop out of the rotted looking wood frames quickly.

organic_smallhome Guest

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. RH furniture is beyond overrated, anyway, but this just takes unbelievable to new heights. Who's going to spend $1500 on a "deconstructed" (i.e., "shabby," i.e., "junked") piece of crap from China? American consumers never fail to amaze me in their gullibility.

The very definition of 'trendy'. But, there is a following for RH stuff, and a mindset that will say 'if its in their showroom its 'the look' and I have to have it', and that's their market. I was in RH last weekend and shocked at the scale of their current offereings. HUGE pieces that won't fit well in most homes - maybe 10,000 s.f. houses, but for the average house of 3,000 s.f.? Way too large. But their showroom was busy, and people were buying those hugely deep, shabby/chic broken-down-leather pieces much to my amazement. My wife keeps me in line when I go in there, because she KNOWS that its all I can do to not go over to the people selecting leather and say 'You're not really going to buy that, are you? If you can spare 10 minutes I can give you a quick education on leather furniture....' and then she will get all embarrassed and the RH staff will tell us we have to leave....

Here's the more elegant variant of that 'open frame' concept from Hancock and Moore"

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1501
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.