Thread: Trying to Decide on Class of leather for a 8172 H&M Sofa

Plaborde Guest

Default Trying to Decide on Class of leather for a 8172 H&M Sofa

I am trying to decide on a class of leather for a Hancock & Moore 8172 Chesterfield sofa. I have 2 cats, a poodle and two kids. The sofa will go in my study, but may be used by the kidos. I am split between the Continental Oxblood (class 5 unprotected)@ $4,440, Document Crimson (class 2 protected) @$3,075 and the Antelope Harness (class 4 unprotected) @$4,250. I want a rich classic look for the area. The room has cherry cabinets, Mahogony Partners desk, etc. This will be the only seating furniture in the room. I do NOT want a shiney sofa. H&M suggested the protected leather because they said it would wear better. Any guidence is appreciated. ALSO are the prices fair?

Thanks

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Trying to Decide on Class of leather for a 8172 H&M Sofa

Actually, I believe Antelope is protected and has gotten rave reviews on this forum from those who have ordered it, as well as the owner of the forum.

There is a HUGE difference between Continental and Document. The only thing those two hides having in common is they both started on a cow. Suggest you read this all the way through:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ecting-leather

Those prices are fair - but I still sell for less that those you post.

Skip the Document!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Plaborde Guest

OK. I think I am leaning to the unprotected. I think the look and feel will fit better in my house, even if a stain or two sets in.....that's character right? I think the feel will make up for it. But I have to ask, how does the Anelope compare with the Continental? I am concerned about the brightness of the continental. It's funny but a pre sales person at H&M recommended the Document.

What you will find is that stains WILL come out of almost all the leathers all the time, though sometimes it may take a few days or even weeks for particularly nasty ones (oil-based/acid-based) to be absorbed or redistributed by the cowhide. This is why I personally think the whole 'protected' vs 'unprotected' thing is taken way-way-WAY out of concept and most folks deprive themselves of getting very nice leathers for their furniture for fear of damaging the leather. You're going to get a nicer piece of leather with the 'unprotected' ones and I almost never see permanent damage to leather from spills with the exception of suedes/lambskins/deerskins as a result of bad spills.

Antelope is a very high end PROTECTED leather out of Germany. That means its a painted hide. They do remarkable things with the softness/texture/appearance of Antelope - its the best in its class - but at the end of the day the color is applied to the surface of the leather rather than dyed.

Continental is as find a hide as is on the market from any source. Leathers don't get any better than that. It's expensive - and unique - and I can spot a piece from 20 feet away that's made in Continental as it stands out immediately from all the other leathers.

Who recommended Document? The ladies in Customer Service at H&M? As much as I love them down there (they really are first rate in Customer Service and best in the industry) they don't work with the leathers every day in a hands-on environment. They work with paper and computer and purchase order numbers and pricing for the dealers. Document serves a price point in Town and Country collection and its soft - but that's as far as I'd go with it. Its so over-processed and artificial looking that I refer to it as the "Cheez-Whiz" of leathers. H&M sells a ton of it because of price, but no one who really likes what I call the "Art of Leather" would ever buy it for their own use.
    Duane Collie

MJM_CA Guest

Duane,

Hancock & Moore's catalog give the same exact leather ratings for Document and Antelope: 3 for Softness, 4 for Surface Grain, 4 for Special Effects, and 2 for Serviceability. Antelope is a Class 4 and Document is Class 2 but likely the price difference stems from the source country and currency rates - Antelope from Germany and Document from China. Is this a case where you disagree with H&M's ratings?

H&M even describes Document as "ideal for those who love the authenticity of natural markings in leather."

Sounds like you disagree...

Ratings are a general category, given as a guide. But you can't buy a piece on ratings, you have to see and touch something in order to appreciate the differences. It's like trying to buy a wine based on a review - that review might tell you that a particular Cabernet is rich and full, and also same about another bottle that is $ 10 less in price, but until you won't see the difference until you taste them both. Leather is much the same way. If you were to walk in my store right now, you would see a Kodiak Sofa in Document and a Miller Recliner three steps away in Antelope and the difference is readily apparent to even the casual observer.

I can only give you my honest opinions - I don't have a dog in the fight....

I would not own a piece in Document leather for my own home. I would be more than happy to own Antelope, however.

If you come in my store, you will rarely see a piece displayed in Document (I have one now on the Kodiak as I needed a piece quick-shipped and that was in excess goods at H&M and I got it in four days). Document serves a price point - and there is value in that. Beyond that, I think there are better selections.
    Duane Collie

MJM_CA Guest

^ I appreciate your expertise, Duane. You're like a leather sommelier. Haha!