Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B-Y # 912 Series Power Reclining Sectional in GR 5 leather

Default Re: B-Y # 912 Series Power Reclining Sectional in GR 5 leather

Not at all.

All leather wears, I think there is an unreasonable expectation that because its leather and 'protected' in many cases, customers come away with the impression that leather is bulletproof and will stay looking as the day its new for decades, and that is not the case. You will get wear and tear on every leather, of every type, from any production region in the world.

There really are no 'issues' with the current Chinese leathers that I know of. Like any product, there are producers that build a decent product and those that don't, but you can't really characterize them by country. China has some shaky operators, that's for sure - and I don't carry Chinese furniture because the internal construction that you can't see is usually crummy, but leather is exposed and holds no secrets because its out there in the open. Quality USA manufacturers are not knowingly going to buy and install an inferior product on their brands because they have a reputation to keep up. The better tanneries in China have pretty good quality control and deliver a consistent product, more so than the Italians for example, who are all over the board on consistency with their leather products. Chinese leathers are usually USA-raised Cows (China does not have a cattle industry) and the hides are salted and shipped from the USA to China for processing, then returned here as a finished product. I think problems with Chinese leathers were really back in the 60's and 70's when they used to make what was known as 'China Cow' that left active carcinogens on the surface that could be absorbed into your skin if you were sweaty and sat on it. That devastated the Chinese leather industry and overnight all suppliers bailed on 'China Cow' and that reputation appears to be a holdover from 40 years ago.

Companies like Hancock & Moore (specifically their President) make a trip to China once a year to inspect the tanneries they buy from and oversee the quality control. They keep an eye on things and I know that firsthand. The very best tanneries are European, specifically one in Belgium that is the cleanest and most 'green' and produces the best leather in the world - but its a GR 5 leather and most people don't want to pay that price.

I don't particularly like the Chinese leathers because they have no 'soul' and character. They are all highly processed and look too 'worked' for my tastes but they serve a price point to the customer who wants to get into a piece for the least amount of monetary outlay. They will render decent service over the lifespan of the piece if you maintain a cleaning and conditioning regimen as with any other leather. I have no reservations recommending or selling Chinese married covers on pieces in the least, just make sure you are getting top grain leather and nothing 'bonded' or made from split grain.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

This Sectional in these photos on the first post will be clearance priced in my store next week. Time for it to go to a new home!
    Duane Collie

Duane, does the BY 912 require 2 electrical outlets due to the power reclining on both ends?

Yes, or just use an extension cord and hide it under the sofa or sectional.
    Duane Collie

krobert2 Guest

Mr. Collie, We live in the Indianapolis metro area and are very interested in the Bradington Young 912 series. Do you know of any store in the Midwest that might have higher-end furniture like this in-stock? We'd like to actually sit in the furniture before ordering it based on online descriptions/pictures. We've shopped around this area a lot and most of the stores carry low to middle-end furniture. I've read many of your posts in this forum and really appreciate all of the expertise you share.

sofa87 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by krobert2 View Post
    Mr. Collie, We live in the Indianapolis metro area and are very interested in the Bradington Young 912 series. Do you know of any store in the Midwest that might have higher-end furniture like this in-stock? We'd like to actually sit in the furniture before ordering it based on online descriptions/pictures. We've shopped around this area a lot and most of the stores carry low to middle-end furniture. I've read many of your posts in this forum and really appreciate all of the expertise you share.
    Go here http://www.bradington-young.com/ in the top right corner it has a dealer search function. Just enter your zip and hit enter. It should bring up stores within your area.

Quote Originally Posted by krobert2 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what is in your area. What I do know about Indianapolis is that myself and some pals are thinking of riding our BMW motorcycles out there for the Moto GP race on August 9th! Watch Valentino Rossi and Mark Marquez mix it up live and in person! Doubt I can carry a 912 on the back on my bike on the way out though....
    Duane Collie

JiltedGen Guest

Is this sold yet?

In my store and needs to GO. I have lots of new stock coming in and sectionals take up too much room on my main floor. Here are photos today...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	912.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	7774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tag  912.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	7775

The price tag shows the current price you would pay to order a fresh one in a GR 6 leather with power units on each end.

How bad do I want to move this? $ 4,999 cash price (check, cash, wire transfer) $ 5,250 credit card price. FINAL REDUCTION. That's below dealer cost.

Pickup at the store in Alexandria VA or pay shipping or local delivery fees.
    Duane Collie

JiltedGen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    In my store and needs to GO. I have lots of new stock coming in and sectionals take up too much room on my main floor. Here are photos today...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	912.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	7774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tag  912.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	7775

The price tag shows the current price you would pay to order a fresh one in a GR 6 leather with power units on each end.

How bad do I want to move this? $ 4,999 cash price (check, cash, wire transfer) $ 5,250 credit card price. FINAL REDUCTION. That's below dealer cost.

Pickup at the store in Alexandria VA or pay shipping or local delivery fees.
    Do you have sofa's on sale?